Hi guys, just saying this is me!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CJ&Tana
New member - welcome them!

Hi guys, just saying this is me!

Post by CJ&Tana »

I was diagnosed in 2000 when at University as a mature student. One of my friends was doing his dissertation on dyslexia and I did the test and indicated dyslexic so I went to get tested and was diagnosed dyspraxic! Big shock, huge learning curve and I'm still discovering new things every week. One of my biggest issues is walking and standing. I'm 5 foot 9 and obese so everyone thinks it's due to my weight but I've always been unsteady. I'm in a community choir and we are meant to stand to sing but I find that standing and holding my folder takes so much of my concentration that my singing suffers! So my lovely musical director says whatever makes me comfortable is OK, therefore I'm happy sitting and warbling. Most of my career has been spent supporting young people to achieve their potential and my dyspraxia has helped me to understand the 'challenging' ones that don't fit in. I know dyspraxics have a tenancy towards depression, and I've been there many times, so outwardly I strive to find the positive side of things. I try to fit in but I'm not great at close friendships - it's all a bit of a minefield to me - and hugging people makes me very anxious. I have reasons for doing things 'my way' but even friends find some things odd until I explain it from my point of view. I'm pedantic and literal and logical and enigmatic and amusing (apparently) but my self confidence is low. Oh and by the way, I can talk for England unless somebody stops me!!!
Code_Inconnu

Re: Hi guys, just saying this is me!

Post by Code_Inconnu »

Welcome, always great to see new members!
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Welcome. I hope you find this a good place.
SusanS

Post by SusanS »

Just joined and just read your post. Hoping self acceptance following your diagnosis is helping you as much as it is helping me. Thanks for sharing. A world without people like us would be like a flowerbed without the really good flowers!!!!