Dysphraxia new person

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Janie
New member - welcome them!

Dysphraxia new person

Post by Janie »

Hi, I am from B.C. Canada. I had 2 spinal surgeries 2 years ago. First being a. .d.f. Surgery and second lower back, disc had deteriorated to small pieces.was removed. Since then, I have lost my rhythm, unable to write even my name and have developed a slurred speech. All quite dramatic for meas I made my living in t.v. Broadcasting and as an artist and musician! I am left handed and my left side is useless. I am on an 18 month waiting list to see a neurologist! I am not able to find a support group in B.C. And do not see anyone else struggling with these symptoms out there. My G.P.told me to get use to it! I do not even have a diagnosis but from reading feel it must be dysphraxia. The medical professionals I have seen do not believe in dysphraxia! Is this the normal reaction to dysphraxia in Canada or amI in the wrong province?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dysphraxia new person

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

Dyspraxia aka DCD is first and foremost considered to be a developmental condition i.e you grow up with the condition. However, there is some level of acceptance that it can occur as a result of injury or other physiological event. I suspect this is possibly why they are dismissing Dyspraxia in your case and I can only begin to imagine what you are going through with this.

We have had/do have members from BC /Ca.and recognition and support is most definitely less than there is here in the UK.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Janie

Post by Janie »

Thanks for the reply Tom. We need help in Canada in so many ways. especially healthcare. The school system does not even recognize dysphraxia. Can a speach therapist diagnose dysphraxia?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Janie

The Dyspraxia Foundation in the UK recognise that obtaining a diagnosis even on the NHS can be tricky and that input of opinion from a neurologist, educational psychologist, occupational therapist and perhaps other medical professionals would all contribute in any path to confirmation.
No harm in asking him/her but it seems quite possible a speech therapist would likely not be familiar. Will be happy if he/she proves me wrong.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Janie

Post by Janie »

I was dyslexic as a child and very prone to clumsiness. Also left handed so blamed that. I still mix numbers up in sequence. I managed to play keyboards, self taught, on stage for many years. Very creative. Became a t.v. Broadcaster and artist. Pushed myself very hard. I recognize many of the dysphraxia symptoms and it explains a lot. Unfortunately, very long wait to see a neurologist in B.C. Canada and no dysphraxia groups.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Dyslexia and Dyspaxia often exist together. It's possible you have dyscalculia too. Despite our difficulties we are often very driven and exceed expectations.

Sounds like your back problems have set you back I especially think significant change to our lives and daily routine will serve to invalidate a lot of our existing coping strategies.

I did note a Canadian Dyspraxia Foundation so may be worth contacting them to see if they can offer additional advice on how you might best proceed
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Janie

Post by Janie »

I have not received a reply from Canadian contact.
Janie

Post by Janie »

Never heard of the math disorder before. I got 27% in math and had to repeat a grade even though my other marks were great. Makes sense now. Thank you.
Charlabried

Post by Charlabried »

Admin have warned and reported poster. Dyspraxia is NOT an illness or disease!

Can you find an online support group? I understand that the absence of diagnosis can inhibit any attempts to move forward. But if you can find support at least online, it could help you understand how to live on and how to build a new relationship with your body. I'm sure that a lot is decided by faith in your personal strength and the support of caring people. I've seen people whose lives were saved by information about cancer drugs at [inappropriate and non-dyspraxia related link removed by Admin]
. It's just an article, but it gave someone hope. Collect as much positive information as possible, it's already a big step toward recovery.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elwoodyn

Post by Elwoodyn »

It's terrible that you have to go through this.
Bernyshepperds

Post by Bernyshepperds »

I think you need to get an appointment with the doctor as soon as possible! The healthcare system is terrible, but you must get doctors to care for you as early as possible. I had breast cancer, and the doctors refused to believe that I had problems for quite a long time. As a result, I had to go through the removal of both mammary glands and chemotherapy. I am very sorry that immediately when I felt that something was wrong, I did not achieve a full examination. Now, to feel like a woman again, I turned to https://www.visageclinic.com/cosmetic-surgery/breast-augmentation/ to make breast implants. It's all very difficult mentally, and I insist treatment should be started as early as possible.
Last edited by Bernyshepperds on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Bernyshepperds wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:19 pm I think you need to get an appointment with the doctor as soon as possible! The healthcare system is terrible, but you must get doctors to care for you as early as possible.
Please read original post in detail.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator