Confused of SW London

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mike
New member - welcome them!

Confused of SW London

Post by Mike »

Hi
I've just discovered Dyspraxia (last night) and looked up the symptoms etc -found a test and realised the questions where just like my early biography (really -some symptoms I thought were just normal -learnt to cope with the rest) so not diagnosed but really confused -not told anyone oh and I'm 62 partly retired and reasonably successful (BTW never driven a car never ridden a bicycle -and words are shapes to me -but I'm a very good mathematician)

what do I do now?

M
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Confused of SW London

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mike and welcome

What you do next is up to you. Getting a formal diagnosis can often be an exercise in futility so if you're happy to self identify and don't require/need medical/professional confirmation that is perfectly fine.
We have a diverse range of ages and experiences here and believe it or not we've had more senior new members. If it helps to look at this way, your adaptability /coping strategies helped you stay under the radar.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks no I don't feel need to get formal diagnosis - but its still rather a big revelation for me - trying to take it in one a step at a time. It's a bit late to find out there was a real reason for all those odd childhood quirks. Not even sure I'd have done as well if it had a label when I was young - might not have railed against it so hard -need a few days to digest and decide if I tell anyone -or even if I need to.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The 'label' is your to wear or acknowledge if you so choose. It's a revelation but it won't change who you are. A lot of people don't really comprehend it and it's not something that can't be easily or eloquently put into words. Hope the posts on the forum here prove useful/interesting.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun May 13, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
RedRevolver
Getting settled in

Post by RedRevolver »

I'm originally from South East London, still fairly confused. :P . Hello there, Mike. :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks guys -had a little time to think about it now -oddest thing is the little odd things about me that I dismissed years ago - without thinking about the 'why's -they now have a bit of an explanation eg my light/touch/noise sensitivity oh and my real dislike of any tight clothing
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Mike wrote:Thanks guys -had a little time to think about it now -oddest thing is the little odd things about me that I dismissed years ago - without thinking about the 'why's -they now have a bit of an explanation eg my light/touch/noise sensitivity oh and my real dislike of any tight clothing
I alwaysthink of the old saying that "knowledge is power." Anyway, welcome to the site and I hope you find lots of useful information here.