Hello from the frozen North

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bloor
New member - welcome them!

Hello from the frozen North

Post by Bloor »

Hello from Canada!

So pleased to have found this forum, I've found that dyspraxia is almost a complete unknown (even my laptop keeps trying to correct dyspraxia to "dyspepsia") I've even had people telling me I've made it up! Which was charming.

I was diagnosed as dyspraxic when I was 11 after a school-life time of "what is wrong with this child?". However it never got explained to me what exactly it was and I, my parents and teachers just ignored the diagnosis for the next 15 years or so and it went to the back of my mind. I muddled along in varying stages of frustration and chaos blaming myself and falling in and out of jobs and people's good opinion. It wasn't until a year or so ago someone posted on Tumblr (good old Tumblr) about dyspraxia and i was like "oh yeah, don't I have that?" and for the first time in my life actually read about it and found out what my decade old diagnosis actually entailed and it was a revelation to say the least. I suddenly realised that maybe I wasn't just a dullard idiot child failing at being an adult and just not trying hard enough which has been the general opinion most of my life.

I know of no other dyspraxics in real life (although I suspect several family members) and it's very nice to see evidence of our
exsistance and not to be so alone.

So Howdy, looking forward to meeting people and being less alone and confused! :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello from the frozen North

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Bloor and a very warm welcome to you!

We have a number of members from Canada and then USA. The search function is quite handy.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)