Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Minmax
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Post by Minmax »

Greetings All,

It’s good to be here. Have never been formally diagnosed as Dyspraxia. In my 40s in the US not sure whether a diagnosis is going to be of any practical benefit so not going that route.

All my life have struggled with coordination and organization. I used to think I had ADHD and was really clumsy. One Day was googling my issues and came across dyspraxia. The symptoms it’s like they had written about me:. I find ways to do what I need to do because that’s life.
It took me 3 years to learn how to drive and I am still really bad at parking if I am in a hurry. I find that the more you drive the easier it is, muscle memory. Just remember to take my time.
I was horrible at sports, no hand eye coordination. The funny thing is I like to exercise so yay equipment. I just use the stationery bike or domething like that.

I love music and dance have a great sense of rythym but can’t follow steps. It takes me forever so I just do my thing and don’t worry about what other people think.

Housework and working skills bad but I just at home set the timer for 10 minutes and tidy up. My brain is better when it’s tidy at home. I do the same thing at work. Leave the phone and other distractions far away from me.

Main thing is I do what I need to, try to be happy and find something to look forward to in each day.
Katy456
Getting settled in

Re: Hello

Post by Katy456 »

I laughed at some of yours because they sound like me loved sport but can't throw a ball to save my life lol. I went to do a degree and they were like we think you have ADHD, dyspaxia and slight dyslexia. The ADHD I've known about all my life, they tried to diagnose that when I was younger but could never get me to the centre( labelled naughty and when I look back a lot of it was lol could never explain the urges) so one came at 36 when I decided to go back to education. I'm in the medical field and they all know, hyper days get me through 12hr shifts but when home it takes about 3-4 hours to chill. I drop most things daily but normally in my own environment more than in others, I often laugh especially if holding in both hands lol. Good at driving passed first time no majors or minors but again something I loved from young so couldn't wait to drive.
Lettiejp
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lettiejp »

I was told I have ADHD as I kept mislaying and losing things and forgetting places I went to and jobs I had to do, even the dog and my ex's name! However I found this via the NHS website about adult DCD I'm struggling now I'm finding it difficult to bend down so struggle with my home! it's embarrassing to tell anyone
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Is your difficulty with bending down due to back pain? and/or balance?

I live in a very messy flat and while dyspraxic I believe I have some ADHD traits though not to a degree that I feel inclined to want or need to try to pursue formal diagnosis and medication. I'm not sure I'd meet threshold for my GP to refer me and the waiting list is reportedly 5 years.

As neurodiverse thinkers I think we see the bigger picture and can quickly feel overwhelmed by all we need to or should be doing. Or we become distracted and do want fascinates us most even if that is really counterproductive. Asking for help is too often viewed with shame but we need to try to look after ourselves and try not to care about what other people think (or what we think they are thinking!)

Definitely do the mislaying/losing things. My long-term memory is a strength, my short term memory can all too often be rubbish especially when I'm trying to juggle competing obligations.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)