Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Maximus12
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Postby Maximus12 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed as dyspraxic when I was 9 and suffered terribly at school as a result. I'm 26 and work am an advertising copywriter in Canary Wharf. I love my job but get unbelievably anxious....not quite every day but almost, mainly about losing my job. I get so paranoid I can't describe...I want to scream sometimes, I feel as if I'm about to lose my job at any minute and then I would have nothing :( does anyone else feel that way sometimes, not about their job necessarily but in general?

Anyway, I love watching sport - football, athletics, tennis, pretty much everything - and going for walks. I love to read and write and spend a lot of spare time at art galleries and the cinema. Of all the things I can't do, I would love to be able to draw.

Nice meeting you all.

Maximus

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello

Postby Tom fod » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Maximus and welcome to our corner of the web.

Dyspraxia and this kind of anxiety all too often go hand in hand especially on our bad days. It is worth considering what strategies you can use to reassure yourself on such days.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Maximus12
New member - welcome them!

Postby Maximus12 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Hello Tom,

Thanks for post, I'm looking for ways to control my emotions, I'm actually going to start seeing a psychologist and have my first appointment tomorrow, which is something I never thought I'd do. I'm hoping this will help me compartmentalise things and not react so badly to knocks and criticism.

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

You're welcome.

I can understand that your job means a lot and you invest a lot into doing things right I'm the same and tend to panic/go off the deep end at times.

It's rarely going to be easy, but pausing to calmly consider the reasons behind a critical comment may help you to move towards responding rather than reacting. You sound as though you're similar to myself in that you're very hard on yourself and beat yourself up for even the smalest lapse.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Return to “Introductions”