Howdy

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jayalexander
Getting settled in

Howdy

Post by jayalexander »

36 year old male here, who's only just recently started learning about dyspraxia due to something my ex girlfriend (about the only good memory I have of her) mentioned in conversation!

I was involved in a car accident when I was 7 or 8, where I suffered a head injury and since then my left hand (and to a lesser degree, my leg) has basically been buggered. Reading about the tell tale signs of dyspraxia, it sounds very likely that it may be what I have been left with. It's a shame that the consultants that I have seen in the past haven't been able to pinpoint this as my diagnosis, although 'ataxia' was mentioned in the past - but I have since learnt that that is a condition that you would be born with.

The last brain scan that I went for 2 or 3 years ago, as I was noticing a worsening of symptoms - I wasn't, it was just how I was feeling at the time - was clear and the consultant referred me to a counsellor as I hadn't spoken to anyone professionally about my accident. My score on the questionaire assessment, however, was too low (as it wasn't making me suicidal etc) and I was referred back to my GP. It's something I have not gone back to see him about since as it hasn't been bothering me as much.

I live an incredibly normal, independant life and I'm thankful that it is not actually worse than it is, but one of my main beefs is not being able to carry more than one pint at the pub, which is annoying if you're there with others and have to walk back and forth! If I have had a little to drink, though, I can actually manage it but I realise that it's not in my best interests to be drunk to manage my symptoms! While I have full use of my right hand, I can only really use one finger on my left hand to type and I try and avoid using a knife when eating dinner.

After what I've been reading over the past couple of days, I think it might be time to make a return visit to the doctors!
Last edited by jayalexander on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayalexander
Getting settled in

Re: Howdy

Post by jayalexander »

I wonder if anyone else on the forum, here, my have developed dyspraxia following head trauma?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Jay and welcome

Apologies that no one has responded in a timely manner. Sometimes we can be a little reticent here.

Generally Dyspraxia is considered a developmental condition, However we do have members and I know of people who have acquired Dyspraxia as a result of traumatic injury or a medical event, for example a stroke.I don't think the 'experts' can always agree.

See my post made in the following Threat on Wed Dec 28, 2016 at 11:30 pm http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... xia#p30289.

If you use the Forum Search facility and input acquired dyspraxia you will see some previous postings related to this.

I can manage to carry two glasses, just about, but trying to carry three drinks together in my hands or even on a tray is just asking for disaster.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
jayalexander
Getting settled in

Post by jayalexander »

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

Carrying two glasses - except on a tray - is definitely out of the question for me, unless I have had a few pints and even then I wouldn't be able to hold the drink in my left hand naturally. I wouldn't attempt three unless I'd had several more! A possible interesting aside is that I'm able to lift more weight in my left hand than my right.

Thanks for the heads up regarding searching on the forum!