Newly diagnosed

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wish90
Getting settled in

Newly diagnosed

Post by Wish90 »

Hi,
I did post a while back for advice on assessment (which was really helpful to me). I now have been assessed by an occupational psychologist and I do have dyspraxia . I wanted to ask what really is the next step for me? I will receive the report in a couple of weeks but I just wanted to know how others felt/what they did after the diagnosis? I feel relieved in a way but a bit strange in another because now I know for sure why I have struggled for years (I'm nearly 27).

x
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Newly diagnosed

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

Pleased to hear you've got the official confirmation you were seeking. You're no doubt feeling a range of emotions and will have numerous questions such as: who do I tell?; how do I broach the subject of Disclosure/asking for help/reasonable adjustment from my employer?; how will people I know react to this?; etc.

Please free to post any questions you have and look at previous posts and or use the search function for terms such as 'diagnosed'. 'what now' and 'disclosure'. Please don't feel you have to be 'defined by the label' as after all it is only one facet of the whole you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Thank you I will have a look. And thank you for your support it means a lot. X
melvin1990
Getting settled in

Post by melvin1990 »

Glad to hear you have a diagnosis, is such a relief to realise all the difficulties we have have a medical cause, isn't it?

Can't really offer any useful advice as I was diagnosed as a child and consequently have always lived with it.

As others have said, check out some of the other forums for great advice from some of the other posters (who have far more experience than I in the subject)

Regards,

Alex