I'm new here!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WilliamR
New member - welcome them!

I'm new here!

Post by WilliamR »

Hi all,
My name is William. I'm 39 years of age (40 at year's end - boohoo!) and live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. I was diagnosed with ocular-motor apraxia and mitochondrial myopathy at the age of two. I'm still living with my parents which has its pros and cons; I get domestic day-to-day support, which is much needed (and appreciated!), but I also feel stifled as a result of being in a cocooned environment. At school I had the usual problems faced by many dyspraxics eg. PE, poor handwriting, poor organisation etc. and became detached from peers. I will expand on these issues at some point in the appropriate threads. I work part-time in Leeds which makes travelling problematic, although it is manageable. I have two days off per week which is nice, but work does present some challenges which again I'll expand on further in the forums on that subject.

For me, the most challenging aspect of dyspraxia, aside from its symptoms which can make just about anything you turn your hand and mind to difficult, is living in a non-dyspraxic world. It is heart-breaking to see other people benefiting from certain rites of passage or moments that give one a 'buzz' that just fell into their laps, but for whatever reason never came your way.

Just to finish, I enjoy reading (non-fiction only - if it didn't happen why waste your time reading about it :lol: ). I also like listening to music and throwing myself into online research. I enjoy watching football and cricket. I have an interest in countries of the world.

I'm glad to be part of Dyspraxic Adults and will enjoy learning from you guys as I go along!

William
darkneo
Getting settled in

Re: I'm new here!

Post by darkneo »

Hi William,

I am Darkneo, I am also new here as well, I live in the south west and I like computers, sci-fi and music. I am a bit of a loner and find it hard to make friends.

If you like to talk I am I good listener.

Take care Darkneo.
WilliamR

Post by WilliamR »

Hi Darkneo,

It seems we live a long way apart! Tell me more about my musical interests. I like a bit of most things (except noisy genres like heavy metal, punk etc!) although I'm a massive Beatles fan. I suppose I might have guessed you had an interest in sci-fi given your username.

Yeah, it's difficult not having friends. The world seems such a cruel, lonely place - and that's before you watch the news. Do you work and if so, how does dyspraxia affect you?

All the best

William
WilliamR

Post by WilliamR »

I of course meant 'tell me more about YOUR musical interests'!