Hello, just found your site

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bob00ban
New member - welcome them!

Hello, just found your site

Post by Bob00ban »

Hi I was diagnosed when I was 16 and then it stopped I never took it seriously and pushed to back off mind and regarded things as is. As I am about to hit 40 started to think why I can't do certain things, simply things like 1 day carrying a cup of tea the next have to lock both hands around the cup and have the fear a shake will spill it over me. Also I find new people very uncomfortable and even though I have things to say my mind usually full of ideas goes blank and I need a reboot time away. I work in a reasonable high profile job and am told I need be front and centre but the thought is terrifying as I can't explain how my brain shuts down in those situations and I aim looking for advice on how to start conversations with my employer that I have Dyspraxic also yet to really explain it to my loved ones. Don't take me wrong I think having this condition gives me unique advantage of the every day joy I feel on a single task I can see things quicker and provide a different perspective. In summary looks to understand your experience and to learn how to cope and not be the dirty secret I have managed to keep hidden for the past 20 odd years

Rob
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello, just found your site

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Rob and welcome. Glad you've found us.

As you say we are capable of being greatat some things though being a bit different can make some days quite challenging.

Disclosing to employers is quite a regular question and we all have different perspectives about how or whether we explain to employers. Check out our Work area and feel free to post questions/join in just read.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)