So happy it's not just me!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CeceB
New member - welcome them!

So happy it's not just me!

Post by CeceB »

Today after I manged to rip my toe nail off accidently opening the door directly into my foot, I mentioned to my friend I just have no idea of spacial awareness. Curious I Googled to see if that was a thing..

And for the first time in my life I read about dyspraxia. My lack of short term memory, my sheer ability to walk into door frames, street signs, accidently sitting on my dog.. How I at best shovel food into my mouth and hope most of it gets in. My horrible handwriting, how much it hurts my hand to do so, my lack of spelling.. I could go on.

I've been reading these forums all night, to myself and out loud to my husband. Some have made me laugh because I get it! I do that too! And I've cried because I've spent years thinking something was wrong with me. Why can't I remember people names? Or even my own freaking phone number? Why can't I go a week with out some stupid mishap of falling up stairs, or you know, accidently kicking a door I'm opening.

So I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm CeCe, 34, mom to two kids and in the US. I know this is a UK site but there's very little US sites I've found for it. :( in fact I never even heard of the condition until today. It doesn't seem to be a thing much talked about here.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: So happy it's not just me!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Cece
Welcome,we're glad you've found us and I hope forum can offer you both support and inspiration. We have quite a few people from outside the UK too.
Hope your toe gets better soon too!
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat May 27, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spellings corrected
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Welcome. I hope that this site helps you come to terms with everything. I should also point out that Dyspraxia is also known as Developmental Coordination Disorder in some countries. It is also considered to be part of the Autistic Spectrum Disorder by some experts.
CeceB

Post by CeceB »

Tom fod wrote:Hi Cece
Welcome,we're glad you've found us and I hope forum can offer you both support and inspiration. We have quite a few people from outside the UK too.
Hope your toe gets better soon too!
Thank you! :) I've already gotten some pretty good tips on managing daily life, and am also relieved to know I'm not the only adult who doesn't drive.. Though lots of good advice on how to better practice if I want to.
CeceB

Post by CeceB »

Ram wrote:Welcome. I hope that this site helps you come to terms with everything. I should also point out that Dyspraxia is also known as Developmental Coordination Disorder in some countries. It is also considered to be part of the Autistic Spectrum Disorder by some experts.
Thanks for this! I definitely pulled up more US based info using DCD, though as far as I can tell this is the only support forum out there.