Hi!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Translator
New member - welcome them!

Hi!

Post by Translator »

Hi

I'm not sure if I should be here because I've never been diagnosed with dyspraxia but I just couldn't help it, I had to know if this is the thing that keeps holding me back or not... I'm a student who lives in Belgium. For years, I had this theory that there was something wrong with me. My theory was that I couldn't do the things that other kids could and it felt as if there was nothing I could do about it. Today I'm 21 years old and I still feel as if I can't do it all. As a kid I could never catch/throw a ball but I was also pretty bad at other sports. It took me a long time before I learned how to ride a bike and when I did, the bike had to be "special". Until today my bike has to be low enough for me to be able to fully touch the ground with my feet, othersly, I can't ride it. It also took me 5 years to learn how to swim. It felt as if I totally KNEW how to swim but I simply couldn't do it. I refused to swim for a couple of years because I was a teen and I felt ugly but when I finally felt the courage to swim again a month ago, my technique was not amazing and it felt as if I couldn't move forward. But the one thing that really drives me crazy today is my driver's license. Ever since I was about 20 years old I've been trying to get a driver's license and I still don't have it. All my friends and family are driving me crazy because I'm really feeling the pressure. People are laughing at me and they are wondering how I'm still not driving...

So even though I have never been diagnosed with dyspraxia, somewhere deep down I'm convinced that being a member of this forum could help me overcome some difficulties.
Is it okay if I stay?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and a very warm welcome. Of course you can stay

Obtaining an official / formal diagnosis as an adult in Britain or anywhere sadly doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it should. As you are no doubt aware tasks or activities that logically speaking we think should be possible can often seem insurmountable and cause great frustration and/or misery.

Please check out or transport section to read about others' experiences with trying to learn to drive. I sincerely hope we can offer you support and ideas to help fuel coping strategies and/or solutions.

. We've had a few other Belgian members too.
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Re: Hi!

Post by Ram »

Welcome! I hope you find some useful information here.

You might be interested to know that I was in Belgium in 2015. I visited Ieper, Kortrijk, Brussels, Liege and the Ardennes.