um...hello?

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hobnobgoblin
New member - welcome them!

um...hello?

Post by hobnobgoblin »

hi there! i'm Rachel, I'm 31 and i have been diagnosed with dyspraxia since about 2000! it made so much sense when i found out what it was all about - all the clumsiness and not being able to get my words out right... i'm even terrible at typing i keep having to use the delete button - i'm surprised it hasn't worn away!! i found you by accident because i was looking up dypraxia and dentists because i am going to the dentist this afternoon and know i'm going to need work doing -again(!) and i'm a bit worried about being told off even though i thoroughly deserve it because i am awful at taking care of my teeth but i just don't know how to find the words to tell him whats going on in my head because of the dypsraxia! I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which doesn't help matters much because that causes pain and fatigue in my muscles and is also not great for memory and depression on top of the dyspraxia! I'm so glad i did find you though because there's nothing worse than having nobody know what you're going through! :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: um...hello?

Post by Tom fod »

hobnobgoblin wrote:hi there! i'm Rachel, I'm 31 and i have been diagnosed with dyspraxia since about 2000! it made so much sense when i found out what it was all about - all the clumsiness and not being able to get my words out right... i'm even terrible at typing i keep having to use the delete button - i'm surprised it hasn't worn away!!

i found you by accident because i was looking up dypraxia and dentists because i am going to the dentist this afternoon and know i'm going to need work doing -again(!) and i'm a bit worried about being told off even though i thoroughly deserve it because i am awful at taking care of my teeth but i just don't know how to find the words to tell him whats going on in my head because of the dypsraxia! I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which doesn't help matters much because that causes pain and fatigue in my muscles and is also not great for memory and depression on top of the dyspraxia! I'm so glad i did find you though because there's nothing worse than having nobody know what you're going through! :)
Hi Rachel and welcome

Hope you find the forums of help.
On Dentists I''ve not long had an electric toothbrush and will be interest to hear what my dentist says to me next week. I feel like I was always quite heavy handed scrubbing my teeth and not sure I was (or am) particularly efficient at brushing.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
hobnobgoblin
New member - welcome them!

Post by hobnobgoblin »

Hi Tom!
I have tried using electric toothbrushes but I don't like the buzzing sensation in my hand or my jaw - ho hum! i'm sure something will present itself :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

hobnobgoblin wrote:Hi Tom!
I have tried using electric toothbrushes but I don't like the buzzing sensation in my hand or my jaw - ho hum! i'm sure something will present itself :)
I can understand that. Whilst I'm not that sensitive myself (I am a man!), I appreciate that some people are more affected/sensitive to certain sensations.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

"Whilst I'm not that sensitive myself (I am a man!)"

Shame on you Tom [-X , you are dyspraxic after all and therefore likely more sensitive than most - enough talking ourselves down ;-)
Anyway, Hobnobgoblin, welcome and herewith a pretty useless anecdote from me - it was my dentist who made me realise that I might be dyspraxic - we're quite good friends - and he was talking about the middle one of his three sons who is also afflicted, and all the symptoms his Dad described sounded very familiar. Useful things come up in the most unlikely situations!
I've been a convert to electric toothbrushes for a while though I agree the sensation is fairly unpleasant. I used to have a problem with stained teeth (mainly from drinking black tea I think), but this has gone completely.
Best wishes
Tim
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Hi Rachel, I'm 33 and have problems with cleaning my teeth. I see a private dental hygienist every 6 months and this helps a lot.