Hello Fellow Dyspraxians!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alchemilla_Al
New member - welcome them!

Hello Fellow Dyspraxians!

Post by Alchemilla_Al »

My mum always thought I had dyslexia but none of the teachers at primary school were interested. When I went to university they were offering free assessments so I had one just out of curiosity. Turns out I have dyslexia and dyspraxia. They did offer some help (free computer, extra exam time, etc) but not much information. All dyspraxia was to me was a fancy word for clumsy.

I finally read some information about dyspraxia properly for the first time yesterday (ten years after diagnosis). It seems to explain why I've always felt different from everyone else and had such trouble making friends and coping with emotions and life in general. Wish I'd known sooner it was more than just bad handwriting and tripping up!

As for an introduction, I'm into punk music, dancing, fell walking, horror movies, reading and body piercing amongst other things. :grin:
Trouble with the trolley, eh?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello Fellow Dyspraxians!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I too have a bit of a liking for punk, bands examples include The Exploited, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Anti-Nowhere League and others. I have given up on anarchy, though one could argue that prophecy has been fulfilled in Britain/the world! I enjoy a good horror film/read too.

I hope you find the site useful I think as well as being physically clumsy/uncoordinated, it's the feeling of the extension of that feeling of lack of coordination/control into thoughts, feelings and social interaction that can really take its toll.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Alchemilla_Al
New member - welcome them!

Post by Alchemilla_Al »

Hi Tom,

Some good picks there, my favourites are probably Circle Jerks, Buzzcocks, Toy Dolls, GBH, T.S.O.L. The first song me and my bloke ever danced to together was "Woman" by Anti-Nowhere League, hope that's not a bad omen ha ha ha.
The best thing about punk: It doesn't matter how stupid you look when you dance! :banana:

As for horror, Stephen King and Clive Barker are my favourite writers.

Thanks for the welcome!
Trouble with the trolley, eh?
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

Hello and welcome,

I also have what I like to call the double whammy dyslexia and dyspraxia and found this out after not completing tertiary study twice I had been asked by an employer previously if I was dyslexic and a careers councilor also after failing in many areas, I wanted to find out what was causing my huge problems in coordination, social awkwardness, inability to write properly and the list goes on. I came away after a very lengthy assessment being told that I had dyslexia dyspraxia and a very short attention span. I found out two years ago and I can relate to what you are saying in coming to terms with the implications. It has taken me along time to come to terms with the loss of not knowing earlier. However along with being very annoyed that my parents and teachers all knew something was wrong but did not bother to find out why I am also proud of myself for what I have achieved on my own. I have always loved books even though struggle to read them. I never really ever read a whole book till recently ( I have text to speech software at home ) i just skimmed them because it was so exhausting.
It sounds like you have got through university studies I am in awe as have only just managed to complete a tertiary study skills course.
All the best
Ditsy