Hello everyone.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Peerpower
Getting settled in

Hello everyone.

Post by Peerpower »

Hi,

I like it here. i don't feel alone with my difficulties / issues / quirks! Here. Scrolling through the forum I'm saying a lot of ooo me too! And Huh, I didn't realise that could be linked to dyspraxia.

I'm 34, have a 3 year old, and I haven't been officially diagnosed with Dyspraxia- yet!
My daughters nursery are worried about her motor skill development. I was the same at her age. I'm still clumsy, do certain things umm differently shall I say. (Weirdly, many say!). Driving haha I have tried to learn. And now I've returned to work it's really apparent how I struggle to organise/ plan my day.
For years I've queried dyspraxia in me. And now I'm wondering if my daughter will have the same difficulties. I've had chats to OT's about dyspraxia (mum worked at a special needs school and worked with OT's there, who kindly had a chat with me about this) and chats when I was at school with various teachers but nothing was done officially.

So, knowing what I know now about the condition I've decided to bite the bullet and spend £300 on a private assessment from a teacher assessor. I've made sure they are properly qualified to assess, and have found an assessor near my work yay.

I've tried the NHS route. They are not really interested. But I need to know now. For help coping at work, and understanding why I am the way I am if that makes sense?

for my daughter, if she has the same issues. I want to be able to help her to the best of my ability.

Anyway, sorry for the waffle! Looking forward to getting to know you xx
katherine100
Getting settled in

Re: Hello everyone.

Post by katherine100 »

Hi PeerPower (good username, mine is less imaginative! :) ) I have just joined this site and read your post. It's soooo lovely reading posts from people who sound a bit like me! No one I know understands how hard it can be for me organising my day! You are not alone in that. I did eventually manage to learn to drive but I count it as the biggest achievement of my life and I only have an automatic driving licence (ditching gears helped a lot). I also got through several driving instructors before I found one patient and a good enough teacher for me! Anyway learning to drive is so hard isn't it?! Now I do drive I live in fear of my sat nav breaking down because I was honestly born with absolutely no sense of direction. Ah, to have a normal brain!! :) Anyway nice to sort of meet you! Good luck with work etc.
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

Hi!

Thank you for the reply. It's really hard, the organisational side of things isn't it! I'm really trying to write things down more but then I forget where I have written things or don't entirely understand what I've written! Hopefully I can get together a better system that works. any tips? All gratefully recieved :D

I went for my assessment last week and yep, definitely dyspraxic. Now I'm feeling a bit odd about it. It's the massive report I have that's thrown me. So many areas I struggle with in, there, in black and white. it's weird. I'm happy I've had the test and now can proove my difficulties and get some support with returning to education and at work. At the same time arrrrgh I can't process all the info about how the condition affects me, which is kind of ironic I guess.

I'm going to try automatic driving lessons. Just hope that I can also find a very patient teacher too. And get a sat nav. I'm also Going to need a sat nav or I'll end up in John o groats trying to get to Dover lol.
Great to meet you too. Hopefully can get to know you a bit better on the board x
katherine100
Getting settled in

Post by katherine100 »

Hello again!

Well done on getting your assessment done, at least you know now and can begin to move on from there. I think I understand how you feel reading it. I haven't been assessed since I was a child, when I was actually diagnosed as dyslexic, not dyspraxic, but I think dyspraxia is more like it for me, and I think that would most likely be the diagnosis these days. No matter the label though there I was on paper and clearly I had issues! Reading the assessment (years later as a teenager) made me feel really odd. None the less I think it enabled me to understand myself better (and explain myself better to others) and that was helpful. So I hope you end up finding it helpful too.

How's your daughter getting on now? It's great that she'll always have you to support her and emphasis with her. I have a daughter too. She's just eight months old. I tend to post on here when I'm up with her in the middle of the night! She's a terrible sleeper. She takes after her Dad though I think as she seems quite coordinated so far and was quite an early crawler. We shall see though.

I'm trying to think of tips to help you with organising yourself but I'm honestly not the woman for the job! I loose everything! Pieces of paper (especially important pieces of paper, obviously) just seem to sabotage me by going into hiding. They have lives of their own I swear!

I am big on lists though. I tend to type my lists on my laptop, so I don't loose them. I also way prefer typing to handwriting.

Anyway, the little person has actually (finally!) gone to sleep so I should too.

Bye for now!

Katherine
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

Hello and Welcome,

There is lots of info to be found in the posts on here, and everyone has their own journey some of us have only discovered we have dyspraxia as adults and for some it was earlier as children and in the teenage years.
I also have a daughter with dyslexia and dyspraxia and it was her struggle which brought back all the memories of my own as
I too had these similar struggles as a child but no one wanted to do anything and even if they dont think new what to do.
It sounds like your daughter has a mum who is giving her all the support she needs.

Best Ditsy :)