Hello. I'm new

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tans
New member - welcome them!

Hello. I'm new

Post by Tans »

Hi everyone,
This was a great find...:D

I'm Tanya, and I got diagnosed with dyspraxia at the ripe old age of 42! I returned to study and went to University to do a 3 year BSc degree, which I have nearly finished...but my gosh it was so hard for me! I think partly due to age, no previous science education and the dyspraxia probably didn't help. But hey..I did pass all assignments and only deferred Dissertation and a Clinic exam..but simply because I couldn't cope with the amount of work expected in a short amount of time.

I felt different emotions when I was diagnosed...initially I laughed and thought it was weird because my son had been diagnosed with dyspraxia too at 8 years old, (7 years prior to my diagnosis) after me fighting with the school to assess him because I knew he needed extra support and was not just a disruptive child who daydreams and can't focus (exactly what they said about me when I was at school). I then felt relief that I wasn't just weird, clumsy, can't get organised and always late for everything and get bored really easily...now there was a reason why I behaved the way I did. But then as time went on I thought...well I don't want to be like this because it makes life tiring, every day can be a struggle to keep on track and get things done..even now I'm procrastinating doing this..I should be doing my dissertation! I just wish there was some way of changing certain aspects of dyspraxia..like time management and anxiety. I've really tried but not succeeded...it's an ongoing battle for me and always has been I just didn't know that I was dyspraxic before. So I was glad to be diagnosed but it didn't change anything. Anyone got any tips on dyspraxic time management..would be excellent..

I do feel that it is more apparent now as I'm getting older than it was before and even though there appears to be more awareness of the subject especially in schools, the general public do not seem to know about or understand it from my experience.

Some people's response to difficulties I have would be to say "just" to everything. For example; 'just get up earlier' just be more careful, 'just organise yourself', 'just get on with it' etc. For me...it is not as simple as that. Anyone else?
Ditsy

Re: Hello. I'm new

Post by Ditsy »

Welcome Tanya,

I am sure you will fine this site very useful. There are many of us who have also been diagnosed as adults and who will also relate to the emotions this brings. I myself was diagnosed at 47 and with the relief this brought it also caused a roller coaster of other emotions
as well. Anxiety seems to be something a lot of us deal with. In regards to time management and organisation I am sure you will find some helpful posts on here.

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=1456

feel free to have a look at the above link which discusses coping mechanisms for organisation.

Best
Ditsy