Hey guys!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

n.aomimarshall
New member - welcome them!

Hey guys!

Post by n.aomimarshall »

I'm Naomi... I'm 20-almost 21 and i'm new to forums and message boards. :boxedin:
I was diagnosed with dyspraxia about a month ago, and it's hit me kind of hard. I know a few other dyspraxics however they never mention it, and without sounding rude, a lot of them don't have the same effects I have. 8-[

Dyspraxia for me...
Is dropping my phone at least 10 times a day :-#
Is banging into walls in the house i've lived in for almost 21 years every morning and afternoon ](*,)
It's going to a&e every month as a result of a fall (Last tuesday I got stitches in my foot for falling outside) :blush:
It's completely forgetting a full days worth of university work - forgetting names, conversations - especially where I set something down. ](*,)
It's not being able to grip pens right anymore #-o
It's losing all focus in a conversation or lecture hall and then struggling to continue listening or learning ](*,)

However, i'm not just my dyspraxia - i'm an almost 21 year old Feminist and Equalitist from Northern Ireland, the chairperson of my universities LGBT+ society and a 2nd year Media Undergraduate. :banana:

I love all types of music and movies, and I spend a lot of my time researching my conditions (Dyspraxia, Marfans Syndrome, Scoliosis, Dyslexia) and the LGBT+ community and local activism events. :grin:

I guess, I just needed somewhere I could hear other peoples' stories and get help and gather more understanding...

... I feel like i'm in a complete mental block right now. I feel like i'm forgetting how to process information and like i'm being less productive than ever before... I just need some guidance I guess... :boxedin:

Thanks for taking the time to read this! :ghug:
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hey guys!

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome. Glad you've found us, you've definitely come to the right place and I'm sure you'll find some experiences you can relate to.

We all seem to have a unique experience of dyspraxia and many people aren't too inclined to talk about it partly due to the difficulty of trying to explain it (should we have to?) as awareness is not what it could be, It's a personal journey and a lot to process. Sadly post diagnosis we all feel quite alone while we try to rationalise what the diagnosis means for us personally and what other people will think/say.

You sound like someone who cares and is ready to stand up to injustice and unfairness, I think this is quite a common trait in many of us. Try not to be too hard on yourself as it\s evident that you're very active in standing up for others, Try not to forget yourself too.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)