Hi there

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

beckysparks
New member - welcome them!

Hi there

Post by beckysparks »

Hi, everyone, it's nice to find this community :)

My name's Becki Sparks. I'm 27 years old. My hobbies in life are reading and writing, I get a lot of joy out of character building and developing plots. Especially when they're dramatic. I guess this is also inflamed by me watching a couple of soaps and witnesses complex character development and stuff like that.

I assume I was diagnosed with dyspraxia when I was nine years old. According to my mother, it was a teacher who pointed it out. I don't remember the official diagnosis or really being aware of this until I was at a careers meeting at 14/15 and the issue coming up then. Of course, I was aware that I had had some issues with my hands; struggling with laces, appalling handwriting, terrible coordination with catching etc. Even with those two meetings, the only other session regarding it was a single occupational therapy session aged 11. And I must have assumed it was just an ordinary thing since I don't remember knowing anything about dyspraxia at that age. But I was always told it was mild. So sometimes I didn't bother bringing it up in conversation - it didn't affect me that much anyway.

A few years ago when I was volunteering in a school where my mum also worked, there was a lot more awareness of dyspraxia then and it was nice to see. But my mum brought my attention to other ways in which dyspraxia plays a part even in my life. She looked at the poster and she was like "Some of these are you." I only glanced at it but I immediately saw one which resonated - repeating things in speech. That is definitely me. At the time I was more curious but I didn't pursue learning about anything else.

I have looked up the dyspraxia foundation site, especially the page for adults, once every few years. But again, I wasn't too worried

However in the last year, I've had more problems with my grip. Nothing horribly drastic but noticeable. My struggles like that are usually very rare but it's been cropping up more and more. So I thought I'd check out the dyspraxia foundation website again to see if it was possible for dyspraxia to get worse over time. What I ended up seeing instead was the adults page again. Only this time it was far more comprehensive and I was shocked at how much of it actually applied to me. It's not so much the perception aspects as it is: motor coordination (to some degree), speech and language (hell yes), eye movements (yeah, somewhat), learning and memory (been there, done that), and emotions.

And in a way, that's truly frightening.

I've never had much self-esteem, especially not in the last ten years. Over half of the things on that list that I associate with me, were things that I blamed on me just being a sucky person. And even realising how much dyspraxia has influenced me can't change years of feeling that way. But it's more unnerving to know that if I'd have known that many of the things I hated about myself were down to dyspraxia, things could have been very different.

What was even more interesting is that most of it has only applied to me over the last ten years. I'm pretty sure I didn't have half of these issues over ten years ago. So it leads me to wonder if a person's dyspraxia can develop more over the years.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hi there

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Becki and welcome

I had a statement of special educational need when I was at school but was never really happy about being marked out as different. I preferred to be left to do things my way. I've only really began to understand my dyspraxic self in the last 5=6 yrs It's worth seeing a GP about any concerns you have about your grip.

I'm really not a big fan of change unless I can be in control of it myself, a very rare luxury in this day and age. I find that the more uncertain and stressed I am. the more my dyspraxia gremlin shows himself to poke me with his sharp stick. Because we are different, we all too often compare ourselves with the positive attributes we perceive in others and of course we will generally come off worst, as it's not an objective comparison. We are affected in different ways and to varying degrees and as individuals we have varying degrees of success in developing and maintaining personal coping strategies. Sometimes things/change outside our control make our individual coping strategies less or no longer effective and this may well instigate a vicious circle/downward spiral. The worse we feel the less able we are to cope with the different/new challenges and setbacks from those we faced in school/college.

Anyway I hope that makes some sense. please feel free to question or challenge.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
beckysparks
New member - welcome them!

Post by beckysparks »

I completely agree with you.

I'm horrible for comparing myself negatively with others though it's a bittersweet relief knowing that many of the things I hated about myself are actually part of my dyspraxia. It's so easy to tell yourself that the dyspraxia just shows up in impaired movement when in reality it goes much deeper. Due to my impaired movement not being so bad, sometimes I don't bother mentioning the dyspraxia because when I finally re-learned about it aged 14-15, I was led to believe it was mild. But with my suspicions confirmed that it's been getting more prominent in the past ten years, it's a concern.

Part of me thinks that maybe I should see a GP and yet at the same time, it doesn't affect me as badly as other people so I don't want to waste anyone's time. But the fact is that my 'clumsy' movements are kicking in more at my work experience and that's just worrying.

On top of which I've had OCD for about ten years now as well and those impulses have negatively affected me; it's something that constantly frustrates me so I get even more down.

I wish there was more awareness of dyspraxia because I know there's been times when I've felt so low I wanted to just not exist. I wasn't planning on acting on it but I just didn't want to exist anymore and sometimes I still get like that.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

beckysparks wrote:I completely agree with you.

I'm horrible for comparing myself negatively with others though it's a bittersweet relief knowing that many of the things I hated about myself are actually part of my dyspraxia. It's so easy to tell yourself that the dyspraxia just shows up in impaired movement when in reality it goes much deeper. Due to my impaired movement not being so bad, sometimes I don't bother mentioning the dyspraxia because when I finally re-learned about it aged 14-15, I was led to believe it was mild. But with my suspicions confirmed that it's been getting more prominent in the past ten years, it's a concern.

Part of me thinks that maybe I should see a GP and yet at the same time, it doesn't affect me as badly as other people so I don't want to waste anyone's time. But the fact is that my 'clumsy' movements are kicking in more at my work experience and that's just worrying.

On top of which I've had OCD for about ten years now as well and those impulses have negatively affected me; it's something that constantly frustrates me so I get even more down.

I wish there was more awareness of dyspraxia because I know there's been times when I've felt so low I wanted to just not exist. I wasn't planning on acting on it but I just didn't want to exist anymore and sometimes I still get like that.
Please don't feel bad, If you're worried, concerned and it's negatively affecting your day to day life, your GP and others are there to help. It's their job after all and it may even serve to increase your GP's awareness of Dyspraxia. There really needs to be more appreciation of the emotional/psychological impact of being dyspraxic. It's not easy being 'different in a society that seems to expect us to conform to it's rules of 'normality'

It's difficult asking for help and sometimes we wrongly believe that it's our own fault and that somehow we need to pull ourselves together or put up with it and stop moaning. That is utter rot and it is important that we look out for ourselves as well as each other. The other difficulty is that dyspraxia makes it hard to explain as when under pressure either the things we want to say don't come out right or we're struck dumb or misunderstood/incorrectly pigeon holed.

Please make an appointment. You might find it useful to write down the things you are struggling with and are most worried about. Then if you find yourself speechless, you can hand your GP a list of bullet points to discuss including what you hope to achieve from your visit and what you don't want are or are concerned about/fearful of.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)