Heyy

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Emar123456
New member - welcome them!

Heyy

Post by Emar123456 »

Hi! I'm 20 years old. I had a gap year between school and university, attempted one term of English Literature at QMUL and dropped out Christmas 2015. I was first diagnosed with Dyspraxia at 13 and then had it confirmed at 16 and had my most recent assessment just before leaving QM. At school it affected my processing speeds to the point where I was assigned a room by myself and extra time during exams so I could verbalize questions and have time to read things over and check. When I got to University, I realised that it was probably the reason behind me being completely unable to sit in a lecture hall and understand what was going on.

Everyone around me would be listening to this academic voice on the stage and be vigorously taking notes but I could neither understand, process or write down what was being said and would leave every lecture feeling really stupid and confused. Then in seminars I would just sit in silence unable to contribute and continuing to feel very stupid. It led to a lot of anxiety and I ended up dropping out with a diagnosis of GAD and Depression.

Since then I've been getting help to deal with my anxiety (something that has always been a big part of my education) and I have got a place on a more vocational course in London doing a Montessori training foundation degree. Afterwards I'd like to be able to turn this into a BA and maybe take it further into a child psychology related field but at the moment I'm still very aware of my anxieties and how much I struggled in my term at Uni. My focus now is to find as much information and help as possible in this area so that when I start in September, my Dyspraxia is not the thing holding me back.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Heyy

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

If you're still London based this may be interesting http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=6&t=4942 (you'll need to be logged in).
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)