Hello from the USA!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PAguy
New member - welcome them!

Hello from the USA!

Post by PAguy »

Hello my name is PAguy and I am 99.9% certain that I have some kind of dyspraxia. There are certain everyday things that get difficult for me. I'm 24, and I want to start going to the gym, but I fear like my Dyspraxia might limit my potential for success. I wasn't as lucky to find much support as you guys had, and I don't even have any employment experience behind me either. I feel like I was left in a preteenaged body.

I know that I might never "measure up" to others, especially male peers, it's really beginning to dishearten me.

But, I still want to read tips for success though.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello from the USA!

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome

Be careful about comparing yourself to others as yourperception may be skewed and it's important to be yourself.

Try to avoid thinking you are restricted by your own or others ideas of what is possible for you. Some things will be more difficult but you will find that you can achieve by finding and playing to your strengths and employing ways of doing things that better suit yourself. Either way you will find you need to put in some hard work.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Welcome to the forum.

Going to the gym is a great idea for everyone, especially for people with dyspraxia. I think building strength and reducing fat levels tends to have a positive effect on coordination. Someone on this website wrote a thread on this topic a while back.

If you're worried about your coordination letting you down, you can always try weight machines first to build up some strength and confidence. After a while, you may decide to give free weights a go.

For aerobic fitness, stationary cycles don't demand too much coordination.

On a different note, you speak of the envy (in the most benign meaning of the word) of the support that the rest of us have had. I don't think many of us have had much support at all!
PAguy
New member - welcome them!

Post by PAguy »

Hello.

I may have some or all dyspraxic symptoms, but I forgot to add that the dyspraxia could possibly be a symptom itself of another rare condition I was diagnosed with. And I researched more, I found dyspraxia is considered an "invisible" disability, but I'm not sure if you would exactly call my rare condition "invisible".

I still relate to most if not all the dyspraxia symptoms listed though.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Dyspraxia (aka Developmental Coordination Disorder(DCD)) often coexists with other conditions. For some it's a disability, whereas others may prefer the term 'difference'. You're no doubt aware that being different can and does make life difficult when trying to fit in or conform with other peoples' perspective of what 'normal' is.

There isn't a great deal of support or recognition for people over here either. Provision is patchy and it's a bit of a lottery depending on where you are/how severely you're affected.Most of us are left to muddle through as best we can through grit and determination. I hope you find this forum helps you to see a way to achieving/pushing the boundaries of what you feel your potential is.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)