Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ben B
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Post by Ben B »

I'd thought I'd introduce myself,

My name is Ben I've had Dyspraxia since early childhood, I've decided to visit as I seem to be struggling with it more recently and since the age of 13 I don't think I've had support with it so I really cant say exactly what my diagnosis is anymore, only that as far as I remember it was mostly my speech.

Presently been diagnosed with work related stress and borderline depression, and been signed off work for the past 7 weeks and due back in this Monday which I got to admit I'm doubting if I'm ready yet, while talking to a counselling company has been useful in helping me to understand why I react to things and how I've been in a vicious circle of being anxious about social situations which makes me retreat and only depresses me more and makes things harder. I've recently gotten out more, a local astromony club that is more suited to me and playing poker with my brother in his pub but thats only 2 weeks a night and the rest of the time I can feel very lethergic and can struggle to be motivated.

Work hasn't helped as its a call centre role for Santander its only gotten harder with more types of calls to take and the required quality of calls has gotten harder, so its gotten to the point once I return I will have a formal performance meeting which will result in a last chance situation, one more failure of a call afterwards and that will likely lead to my dismissal. Plus being social with people from work has stagnated a heck of a lot which only makes me feel worse.

I've always been very quiet and shy and never had much of a social life, certainly never dated, never really liked loud environemnts like busy pubs as the noise just drowns everything else out and I cant hear nearby convserations which just makes me feel isolated. I've always found it hard to understand my habits and explain things to people that its not that I don't want to be social its the the intense sense of awkwardness.
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Re: Hello

Post by Tomtom »

Hey Ben. First and foremost, I wanna give you a virtual hug dude, things will get better in time :) . As I'm sure you've experienced; sometimes you have to embrace and endure social situations you don't enjoy, even when you feel uncomfortable, push through; don't retreat. Over time, it won't be as bad, and if you get yourself out there, you'll have a wider social circle to help you when times are bad. Social support networks are so important in life, and if you struggle to maintain them, you encounter a vicious cycle. Some (or even several) uncomfortable nights out are worth it in the long run.
Ben B
New member - welcome them!

Post by Ben B »

True, things have been a bit better, been going out to a local Astromony club every Friday and also playing weekly poker. Its just trying to figure out what else can I do that isn't call centre, as its the only kind of job I ever had so finding something else is essential but a bit difficult.
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Post by Tomtom »

I don't know much/anything about them, but there are tests they can do to assess your strengths and weaknesses. That sounds like it could be useful to you perhaps?