Hello from Hampshire

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JJR
New member - welcome them!

Hello from Hampshire

Post by JJR »

Hello. I have been reading some of the posts on this website since the beginning of the year and thought it was time to fully register. I have found a number of posts very interesting and in someway comforting; especially as I can relate to much of it.

Well a little about me I guess. I was diagnosed back in the early nineties when there was little or no knowledge of dyspraxia, so I guess I had to persevere whilst being in an all boys boarding school which was followed by a military school. I guess in someways it helped, but there were clearly things I struggled with. For instance at military school, when learning how to assemble a rifle, I simply couldn't get it, despite all the guidance.

As for the present day; well I can drive, but slowly and carefully as I still worry about crashing (it took me thirteen attempts). I am married and have two children. I consider myself to be a good father, so please any dyspraxics worried about the idea of having children, don't, where there's a will there's a way. I found it very hard at first, especially with opening buggies, getting the hang of the car seat, changing nappies etc (some of that stuff it seems you need a degree in rocket science). But after a while I got the hang of it and found myself to be fairly competent by the time our second came along. Preparation is key and I hadn't prepared when it all came around on the first time. Luckily, so far, neither of my daughters seem to have any traits that I had as a child, like getting changed and gripping a pen.

I would say socially I am next to useless and find it a real burden. This used to bother me before when I as trying to fit, but over the years and reading forums such as this one has helped me to no longer care about stuff like that.

Well, it's good to have forums like this; it shows we are not alone and all different in our own ways.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello from Hampshire

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome JJR
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)