Hello There

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stuarth93
New member - welcome them!

Hello There

Post by stuarth93 »

Hi
I'm stuart, I'm 22 years old and I'm living in worcester. I was diagnosed Dyspraxic when I was a young Child. Over the years I've taught myself many coping strategies, so with certain things and tasks I've improved since I was younger but not to being at the same level as an non dyspraxic adult. To me some days I feel like I don't have dyspraxia (depending on what I've had to do that day) and other days I really struggle.
Unfortunately I have been guilty of feeling ashamed of having dyspraxia and not telling people who need to know in case they think I'm making it up and am just either slow or stupid. It's rather silly really as I've recently realised it's completely counter productive because if they knew the reason why I struggle and what I struggled with, then they could help me, understand what I struggle with and empathise.
Sometimes I won't notice my own dyspraxic trates myself but a lot of people do, even if they don't understand why.
I decided to join the forum to get help and advice from people who are in the same boat as me so I don't feel quite alone and to give back to the community myself. I see the possibility of meeting new friends along the way.
Thanks Guys
Stuart Hancocks
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Hello There

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Stuart and welcome

I hope you find the site useful.
I generally try to defy my dyspraxicness, but sometimes it decides it simply has to make it's presence known and remind me it's there. It's annoying at times but being more aware, I'm a little more patient and less down on myself if things don't go according to plan.

Disclosure will always be tricky as one can't tell (much less control) how people will react. To be fair I've found being
more open about it has generally been a positive thing and not as nightmarish as I'd feared. l think If I was great at everything I'd probably be very annoying.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Moot
Power poster

Re: Hello There

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the forum, Stuart! :)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D