Diagnosed Last Week

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lou S
New member - welcome them!

Diagnosed Last Week

Post by Lou S »

Hello everyone,

I am a twenty-six year old student police officer near the end of my training. Just over a month ago I had an assessment because one of my tutors pointed out that they thought I might be dyscalculic or dyslexic. This was because I was having some issues with numbers ie. getting phone numbers in the wrong order when copying them out and also more embarrassing stuff like screwing up call signs over the the radio even when I had it written on my hand. "Erm, papa, llama, 7,4, somthing to Control???"
I had had my own suspicions that there had been something holding me back (for want of a better term) for a long time. I've always been disorganised, prone to knocking stuff over or walking into things I knew were there, chronically late and although I would say I don't have a bad general sense of direction and don't get lost often, when I do get lost I do it in style and have absolutely no idea how I've ended up where I've ended up. But, I had always allowed myself to be talked out of getting tested by well meaning family members who, because I had always done well in school, said I couldn't have anything wrong with me. However I decided to go for this one and I'm glad I did.
I turns out that I'm not dyscalculic (which is good because that is awkward to even pronounce) and not dyslexic either although I do have some dyslexic tendencies. I am however dyspraxic and that was a surprise because while I had just about heard of it I had never considered that it might describe me. The more I read about it though the more I realise that it does just that and better than anything else I thought I might have. Even down to things like walking around on my tip-toes all the time as a kid (Still do it now when no one is looking.) and florescent lights making me sleepy.
As I said, I'm really glad I got tested and the support worker I have is great but the timing of it all kind of sucks because I'm right at the end of my training and moving around a lot so it's hard to sort out appointments with her. I'm already having to do an extension to my last practical module in order to get everything signed off and while I'm sure there is no quick fixes I was wondering if anyone had any tints and tips for overcoming some of my issues on the sort term while I work on long term solutions?

The main problem issues I face in my job though are talking to people in an authoritative way because I am naturally quite even though I always think I'm talking at a normal volume until someone can't hear me and because I repeat myself a lot when I speak. Related to that is noise sensitivity. I just can't concentrate when it's noisy and get very stressed with this which is not good because your average copper (or criminal when it comes to that) is not a shy and retiring wallflower and usually clumps around in heavy boots. Plus, there's radios, siren and all sorts going all the time adding to the din.

The other thing is sequencing problems. Copying things down or getting things done/said in the right order. This is probably my biggest problem issue because It affects everything I do all day.

Any pearls of wisdom would be greatfully recieved.

Lou
Ram
Power poster

Re: Diagnosed Last Week

Post by Ram »

Welcome to this website, Lou.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you any advice because I'm far too clumsy to have ever made it through even the police entry test, let alone complete the training. I recognize some of the symptoms that you describe except many of mine are far worse!

All I can say is congratulations for having made it this far. Let's just hope that someone on this site has been in a similar situation you.
Lou S

Post by Lou S »

Thanks Ram,

Right now it's just good to know that I'm not the only person dealing with what I'm dealing with and that's helping a lot.
:)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I have one tip that may be of use regarding talking quietly.

I read somewhere to breathe deep into your stomach before talking,(I think it's called diaphragm breathing)in order to give your voice more power. As well as that try to imagine that you are speaking to someone who is behind the person that you are talking to.
yetanotherusername

Post by yetanotherusername »

I too was diagnosed at the beginning of the week, I am 34 and its kinda unleashed something, as I can now look back at my childhood and adult life until now, not just try to get away from myself.
Moder_20

Post by Moder_20 »

Wow long introduction u are welcome ! :)
Woody147

Post by Woody147 »

Hi Lou s,

I have this week been diagnosed with mild/moderate dyspraxia and visual stress following occupational psychologist assessment.

I am a police officer with 11 years service. Areas where I struggle are around time management and multi tasking, confidence and completing work slowly. Always constantly fighting against a battle of competing work fast and making mistakes and completing work too slow and producing quality work. have recently had to come out of CiD due to the difficulties. It was exacerbated by an unsympathetic suerpvudor who was constantly criticising me and undermining me. Whatever I did in that role I didn't seem to fit in. Quite simply my face didn't fit. I have gone back to neighbourhood policing where I previously excelled.