Hi there! Sensory integration/dyspraxic here.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sillybeans
New member - welcome them!

Hi there! Sensory integration/dyspraxic here.

Post by sillybeans »

Hiii guys,
I am Sillybean, and I am a 22 year old female sufferer of what was originally diagnosed as sensory integration disorder, but now I am told is dyspraxia. I'm not sure what the difference is, to be honest... In my adulthood, I have mostly overcome the every day struggles, so that while I notice them myself, they're not so mortifyingly obvious as they were when I was a child (i.e. I don't fall on my face that often anymore, I have SOME rhythm when I dance...). I had six years of occupational therapy between the ages of 8 and 14, which really sorted some things out.

I'm an MA student, but still incredibly disorganised, and can't read a map/sometimes don't articulate myself properly, but I've managed to get as far as I have academically by planning my life rigorously, and sometimes just dumb luck.

Anyway - as a person, I"m a huge animal lover and music obsessor. I also translate from German into English, so that's fun.
I've come here because I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to have to explain to new people why we've taken a wrong turn if I'm showing them around my area, or why I slurred my words together in my excitement, or why I forgot that important document. I get made fun of quite a lot, and even though it's in gest, people don't realize how much of a struggle it is to perform simple tasks, and why it hurts me. I think I've got pretty far in life, and I wish they'd all shut up. :b I guess I'm looking for some support in this area.

Looking forward to meeting all of you here,
SB
Moot
Power poster

Re: Hi there! Sensory integration/dyspraxic here.

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the forum, Sillybeans! :D

What's your favourite animal, then? (... In response to you saying you're an animal lover. I don't usually ask such random questions on the welcome threads! :))
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D