Hello

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fourseventeen19
New member - welcome them!

Hello

Post by fourseventeen19 »

Hello I am a 35 year old male and after reading articles online and watching you tube videos I think I suffer from dyspraxia. I have always found life a struggle whether it was growing up at school and also at work and also at home too. I have very poor memory if someone asked me what I did an hour ago I would be unable to tell you. I find concentration very hard as I can be very easily distracted, cannot focus on one thing for long plus I can get bored easily. I can get things muddled up especially at work I am a postman and can put letters for the wrong street in the wrong place when I am sorting mail. I can loses things such as money and keys and I have been known to leave 20 pound notes in my trousers going into the wash. I am very clumsy as well and cannot do particle tasks such as DIY or cooking. I am very bad at organisation this has a big effect on me at work too as I am always making mistakes and no matter how hard you try to cut out the mistakes you still make mistakes without realising. I also cannot tie my shoelaces properly and have a tendency to talk too fast and I also have trouble explaining things in detail too.

All this can make me feel fustraited and I sometimes feel that I am useless and that I am a failure. I thought that this was because I was dyslexic as I was diagnosed with mild dyslexia at 15. I did go to get some help in 2012 when I went to my gp and I saw someone a few months later who said I did have a learning difficulty with mild dyspraxia and I was recommended for cognitive behaviour therapy but when I saw another therapist a few months later he said my difficulties was just "part of me" and could not do anything for me which made me upset. I came across your website after I searched dyspraxia forums on google and after 35 years it looks like I finally found somewhere where I can actually talk about my problems and someone will be listening.
Shadwell

Re: Hello

Post by Shadwell »

welcome to the forum fourseventeen19.

well one thing we do know is that the spectrum for Dyspraxia is very closely linked to it's more well known brother/sister!! lol of Dyslexia.

but yeah it is a similar story to what I get all the time, why are you chasing us? go see your GP if you got problems. btw referring you back to GP. bye...slam door in face attitude, and literally been like that my entire life.

my main problem was I couldn't see how much my condition was really affecting my life until shall we say it is too late. I just wanted to be in school with my friends, rather than in a GP's office, or hospital all the time. as my parents were trying to get all sorts of tests done, which kind of made me even more switched off from the outside world shall we say. I just didn't want to be there at that moment in time. so never asked what was wrong with me until I was about 30.
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Welcome to this website, fourseventeen19.

I can truly relate to all the problems that you have mentioned.

But if it makes you feel any better, I'm sure I'd be 100 times worse than you if I tried to do your job!
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the forum, fourseventeen19! Hope this forum will be of help to you. :)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D