Hi!!

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

freida74
Getting settled in

Hi!!

Post by freida74 »

Hi I'm new to the forum. And am possibly an undiagnosed sufferer of mild to moderate dyspraxia so am here to read and ask for more information.
I'm 40 so was quite surprised when my uni tutor suggested I could be dyspraxic. Having check online I find many of the symptoms fit me very well but others which are often cited as the more common ones - such as being unable to ride a bike - does not fit with me at all so I'm really not sure if this is me or not!
I look forward to meeting you all on the forum and finding out some more information,
Best Wishes,
Freida
legolass
New member - welcome them!

Re: Hi!!

Post by legolass »

I can ride a bike. It just took a while to learn and grit. Also my balance it reasonable which made it possible to learn. Hope you work outwhat helps.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Frieda

Welcome to the forums

Awareness of dyspraxia is slowly becoming more prevalent but there are still an awful lot of people are still pretty much oblivious and it is very difficult to explain, especially if you're affected to any degree. Of course you might ask, are we required to explain how or why we're different?

I can ride a bike, it took me longer but in the end I got there, same with shoelace tying. Catching a ball is still mostly beyond me though. We're all different and we are quite capable of finding our own way with some things and not fitting the standard criteria. We're a diverse bunch ourselves. A good many of us are very determined people and giving up is not something we want to do as we are used to working harder to achieve things that some others can do seemingly easily 'whilst 'standing on their heads'.

Some of us don't want to be defined or constrained by other peoples expectations of what we can/can't do. I learned what dyspraxia was when I was 37. I'd heard of it but knew very little about it, much less that I was affected. At the time I was struggling to cope with various changes in my work role and taking on too much and worrying/comparing myself to others. Learning about Dyspraxia/that I have dyspraxic tendencies explained a lot but i still strive not to avoid the things I want/need to do but I'm a little better at accepting my limitations.

That's enough from me as I need to do some tidying/washing up.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
pouvik
Regular Poster

Post by pouvik »

Hey Frieda,

I found my uni quite helpful and understanding with my Dyspraxia. And most will be specially if they have someone who deals with this side of things. One thing you should remember is that not all the symptoms effect everyone, for example I am in the moderate to severe bracket and I can ride a bike no problem, damn I can even make graphics with no issue, many Dyspraxics suffer at this.

Out of curiousity what do you study?
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Welcome hope you find it useful and supportive people on here have been really kind and generous with there advice and ideas and just the I do that too comments =D>
screengreen
Power poster

heathy555
Getting settled in

Post by heathy555 »

hey frieda and welcome to the forum