Just diagnosed age 45

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Just diagnosed age 45

Post by Welshcakes11 »

Hello, I've just been diagnosed with ADS and Asperger syndrome along with Dysbraxia, I actually diagnosed myself with Dysbraxia while reading up on a little cousin condition, as I was reading about it I recognised a lot of the symptoms in myself, when I was a child and now as an adult. I have suffered loads growing up as a child and if I am honest it wasn't at all happy with parts of my life, education, friendships, non excisistant relationships and my home life. I am pleased I have finally been diagnosed as I have known for years that something was different with me, but I didn't expect the Doctor to tell me that I also have ASD and Asperger Syndrome that came as a bit of a shock, I'm not sure what degree I have all this but it does all seam to fit with how I am. Thank you
Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Re: Just diagnosed age 45

Post by Welshcakes11 »

P.s. Sorry for the misleading, I should have added which I didn't, that I have official been diagnosed by a Doctor at the local mental Heath department of my local hospital, I went to my own Doctor after doing some research on the internet and told her of my worries, she referred me to the department at the hospital. Sorry.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Welcome to the Forums (or fora)

Absolutely no need to apologise. You have not set out to deliberately mislead people. Your diagnosis as ASD Aspergers must have come as quite a shock to you!

I hope you find the forums helpful. You've managed this far without knowing and while you have not received a formal diagnosis of dyspraxia your work related struggles described elsewhere do suggest you may be dyspraxic too. Getting a formal diagnosis for dyspraxia is far from straightforward and seems to be a lottery dependent on where you are and who you are referred to. Understanding is sadly still poor and getting the right help is not easy.

You also have the option to edit your own posts. When you're logged in you can click on the edit icon and change what you've written rather than replying to yourself, which is by no means forbidden.

You could try the Dyspraxia Foundation. They have a helpline open from 9am to 5pm.
weekdays 01462 454986. I've not called it myself but I imagine they're pretty busy so you may have to be patient. Help for adults is more sketchy.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Post by Welshcakes11 »

Thank you Tom for welcoming me to the fora and for letting me know how to go back and edit what I have written. It did come to me as a shock, I expected the doctor to agree with my findings of Dysbraxia ( which she did ) but I didn't expect her to say ASD and Asperger even though I can see why she said it, as some of the symptoms I can see in myself, it explain loads of why I struggled the way I did in my life and still struggling today, I think the Dysbraxia is more noticeable now because of my age and the type of job I am doing, would you or anyone else know if the symptoms of Dysbraxia worsen as you get older because I feel I'm struggling more with working with my hands now then I did about a year ago and doing the same job, plus I'm bumping into things more ? Thank you.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the forum, Welshcakes! :)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Welshcakes11
Getting settled in

Post by Welshcakes11 »

Thank you Moot, I'm glad I found this fora, to read other peoples experience with Dysbraxia will hopefully help me understand and come to grips with my own.