i'm dyspraxic too

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

frumkid
New member - welcome them!

i'm dyspraxic too

Post by frumkid »

Hello
i always had a hard time in school. i was diagnosed with depression at 18, and now with dyspraxia.
my siblings, though i have tried to explain, prefer to thing of me as stupid, clumsy and lazy than as a dyspraxic. i'm really at my wits end with them. what am i meant to do? they live relatively far from me but i really do care what they think of me... ](*,)
Moot
Power poster

Re: i'm dyspraxic too

Post by Moot »

Welcome to the forum, Frumkid!

It is sooo hard not to worry what others think of you - especially family. However your siblings are being very ignorant about it indeed. They're in the wrong and you should try and ignore their incorrect comments until they hopefully grow up regarding the difficulty.

Hope you will find this forum helpful.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Frumkid

Welcome to the forums (or should it be fora)

People who dismiss as lazy or stupid are really exhibiting those same characteristics in themselves. I hope you find some answers here and comfort in learning you certainly are not alone.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
janet
New member - welcome them!

Post by janet »

I know the first post was submitted back in February but I would point your children/friends/relatives to the dyspraxia foundation website. That shows a list of things a dyspraxic can show and that will explain to them that you have genuine problems and if they see it in writing they may be more sympathetic to you. People don't intend to be mean but they are uneducated in the way of dyslexia and dyspraxia. Point them to the websites which explain things - if it looks official they make take what you have more seriously.
Good luck - Janet