Bonjour...

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rebecca_chelt
New member - welcome them!

Bonjour...

Post by Rebecca_chelt »

Hiya,

Rebecca, 22 from Gloucestershire. Diagnosed in primary school, so pretty used to it all now (unless I put my socks on too fast or forget to make a list before going to tescos). Here out of interest really, never really had any experience with other dyspraxic's aside from my Dad, and were so similar anyway its difficult to tell whats actually dyspraxic-ness and whats just personal quirks, (surely all dyspraxic-ness is just personal quirks? that's humans right?) so it'd be intresting to compare and see if I can understand some bits a bit more. :)

ciao ciao x
Jim
Super poster

Re: Bonjour...

Post by Jim »

Hi and welcome.

Quirks is one way of looking a it I guess, just have to be careful not to be completely dismissive though because what some may see as "quirks" will be genuine difficulties to others.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Rebecca_chelt

Post by Rebecca_chelt »

I'm not trying to be dismissive, now that I read it again I probably didn't word it very well. I just mean that some of the dyspraxic type things that effect (affect?) me are so simple, like struggling with a knife and fork or dialing a phone number right first time, you get so used to struggling with little things like that that that they start to become part of your personality instead? does that make sense? Of course there are bigger things like meeting new people, trying new foods (having to order form a set menu at a wedding...the horror!!) that will never fade into the background. But the little things sometimes I'm like 'is that dyspraxic Beccy? or just Beccy Beccy?'. Know what I mean?

Bex x
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome Becky (or maybe that could be bienvenue)

I quite like quirks as I think/find them less troublesome than difficulties as then you're on the road to accepting that you do things differently.

Good to see another person from Gloucestershire.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Rebecca_chelt wrote:I'm not trying to be dismissive, now that I read it again I probably didn't word it very well.
Oh no, that's not what I was implying at all, please forgive me if it came across that way. :blush:
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Rebecca_chelt

Post by Rebecca_chelt »

No worries, Jim!You prompted discussion, which is always a good thing :)

I am indeed from The Shire, recently moved to the posh bit so I'm willing to admit it these days :P

I think I've pretty much always accepted that I did things differently, It's always been fairly obvious but I also struggle with the ole empathy, so when I was younger couldn't actually tell if the grass was any greener. I've always been pretty laid back about life in general, so that's helped a lot I think.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Good ol' Gloucestershire... pffft to Cheltenham. :P

Welcome to the forum! :)

Yeah, I agree that sometimes it's hard to know what's a cause of dyspraxia and what's not.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Rebecca_chelt

Post by Rebecca_chelt »

What's wrong with cheltenham?! Its laaaarvlie! :)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

It's quite good for shopping (in comparison with other Gloucestershire towns), but one gets the impression that Cheltenham [in general] thinks it's much better than it is! ;)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D