Intro by Paul

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gourmetman
New member - welcome them!

Intro by Paul

Post by gourmetman »

Hello everyone,

Good thing about forums is knowing that your not alone. My name is Paul I am a languages teacher and in my freetime I write and do a bit of freelance journalism. Have not been formally diagnosed as dispraxic but suspect there is something fishy. From teenage years sent to pyschiatrists and pychologists, was labelled quite a lot but no one could find out what was wrong with me.

Have been doing my own research and tick many boxes:

- When young put clothes on back to front at times still do, could not tie shoe laces, was way behind in studies, could not concentrate, could not coordinate many things and had difficulties in running, catching and throwing: Always playing wing and defence in football because it did not require me much skill apart from feeding the ball to others or going for someone when defending

- Studies started getting difficult and downhill from GCSE to Uni. Could not catch onto concepts, everything seemed abstract, have been told I lack common sense. However postgraduate was easier

- I do not see things even if they are straight in front of me

- Working memory is kaputt and is getting worse. Takes ages for me to get ready eg at the gym, because I have to remember where I keep putting stuff and laying it out order

- Mind sometimes short circuits, lost my travel cards 3 times in 1 months sometimes forget where I am going or the way home

- After about 20 year I am finally being allowed to go for driving test - lanes , left and right, how to start a car and other small things confuse me

- Have to spend agonising time proof reading simple emails two or three times or checking

- Keep forgetting where I put my equipment which is a big think if you are a teacher. The biggest problem when teaching is organising yourself while looking after the kids , that can be frustrating

- still have difficulty in using remote control

So that is me , life is good but need to get a formal diagnosis more of that in another post

Take care all

Paul