Me and my life

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lauraECFan
Power poster

Me and my life

Post by lauraECFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:36 am

I am a 20 year old woman and am currently studying extended diploma animal management. I have always loved animals (especially sharks and reptiles). I also love to read and can read a very thick book within a week, I am engaged and have been for two years now and plan to get married after I leave college. I was under ten when I was diagnosed with dyspraxia and though I find it hard to live with at times I tend to lead a pretty normal life and love to cook. I find it difficult to make new friends but once i'm friends with someone they normally stay friends for life, I go on holiday nearly every year to Corfu in Greece. I like playing video games and regularly play the Kingdom Hearts series (Kingdom Hearts 2 being my Favorite as it has my Favorite character in) and also play the Pokemon series. At home I have 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 fish and 2 hamsters and going to get a guinea pig soon.

:grin:

AlleyCat
Power poster

Re: Me and my life

Post by AlleyCat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! The course you're doing seems as if it must be really interesting. It's good that you were diagnosed with dyspraxia when you were still at primary school, as I'm assuming it meant you got some kind of support quite early on and your teachers would have hopefully understood why you found certain things more difficult.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 pm

most teachers helped me a lot but one in particular would always criticize my writing and even claimed I was not dyspraxic

AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 pm

It seems as if that particular teacher was ignorant about dyspraxia. A few teachers at my secondary school complained about my handwriting and presentation, expecting me to just be able to put it right, so I know how frustrating it is to have teachers like that.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:33 pm

I believe teachers should be told more information about dyspraxia

Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 pm

lauraECFan wrote:I believe teachers should be told more information about dyspraxia
Defuntly that is verry true - if infomation is known then people can be helped and not just labled as thick or stupid and left questioning what is up with them.

Anyway welcome to the forum Laura, you sound like a nice person and I hope things are good when you leave unie / collage.
I am quite a anamal person myself - I don't have many pets just 2 fish and a ageing dog but I do have a good way with anamles.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:46 am

Tim G wrote:
lauraECFan wrote:I believe teachers should be told more information about dyspraxia
Defuntly that is verry true - if infomation is known then people can be helped and not just labled as thick or stupid and left questioning what is up with them.

Anyway welcome to the forum Laura, you sound like a nice person and I hope things are good when you leave unie / collage.
I am quite a anamal person myself - I don't have many pets just 2 fish and a ageing dog but I do have a good way with anamles.
cool what breed of dog mines a gold retriever cross red setter

Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Mines a black labrador, lovley dogs black labs.
A red setter and golden retrever sounds like a verry bouncy dog - i guess it needs a lot of attionchion.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Tim G wrote:Mines a black labrador, lovley dogs black labs.
A red setter and golden retrever sounds like a verry bouncy dog - i guess it needs a lot of attionchion.
He is when my fiance comes over as me and him take him for walks but usually hes very quiet he is knocking on for nine years old. My nan has a black lab soft as muck she is

shakey
Getting settled in

Post by shakey » Tue May 01, 2012 11:19 am

Welcome to the forum!

I have never had a diagnosis but I know what you mean about teachers criticising handwriting. My first piece of work at senior school was returned to me with a line through it saying "please re-write in proper handwriting in your own time and hand in, is there something wrong with your pen?" (Teacher's underlining.)

I also love animals, we had guinea pigs and dogs when I was growing up. We now have a border collie who is very gentle, but he will be 16 this week! Still loves his walks though.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Fell over this morning and scraped my knee ](*,) always falling over or nearly falling over. The teacher who crtitasised me was an lsa ..... who was supposed to help people like me

kathleenjames
New member - welcome them!

Post by kathleenjames » Thu May 03, 2012 11:50 am

I really feel depressed to saw your life story.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 am

kathleenjames wrote:I really feel depressed to saw your life story.
What makes you feel depressed about it?

:banana: :evilb: :banana:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it

Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I agree with the above quote because it would help immensely if teachers were given information about it as part of their training. When I was in the last year of my first primary school (I went to two entirely seperate ones due to moving house part way through), my class teacher had a very poor knowledge of learning disabilities and as a consequence I struggled massively, as she saw me as a lazy malingerer.