Hi

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Twiglett
New member - welcome them!

Hi

Post by Twiglett »

Hi there, I just came across this site today, and I'm so glad it exists. I've been reading through some of the posts, and they're a real eye-opener. And I have to admit, some of them made me cry, it felt like I was reading through a list of where I've screwed up in life and what I always blame myself for, thinking I'm stupid or there's something wrong with me.
I was diagnosed as dyspraxic when I was 11 and struggling in school. It had never been noticed in me, because I started dancing when I was three, and went to classes every week, so I was sort of self-medicating, and I had greatly improved my balance and co-ordination, and to some extent, my spacial awareness. For a lot of the other problems they told me about, I've managed to find ways of working on them. For example, making sure I ALWAYS wear a watch, so I can judge time because I'm always looking at it, and making sure it was an analog watch, so at the same time, I was forced to have to read the time, even if at first I used to stare at my watch for a minute or two before I worked it out.

However, it's only been the last couple of years that I've found out about a lot of the other problems that come with it. (for some reason when they diagnosed me they never thought to tell my parents about it all - which could've helped me SO much). When I'm in social situations, I often feel like everyone else has been given an instruction manual, and I haven't, I feel like I'm one step behind, and don't quite get whats going on. I get on with people fine, but I don't understand how you manage to turn acquaintance's into friends. I have a group of friends, but I have no idea how I got them, and I always feel like I'm just tagging along, and none of them actually want to spend time with me, because they're all much closer to each other than me.
Another problem that's bothered me for years is that I can't try new things in front of people. If it's something I've never done, and I think there is any risk of me not being able to do it, I just won't. If there's no way of getting out of it, I'll often have a panic attack and freak out, end up in tears because I don't want to do it.
A big problem I have at the moment, is my mood swings and my emotional outbursts. But I think I've already given you my life story, so I'll let that subject have its own thread. :lol:

But, yeah, Hi. Nice to meet you all :D
gherkin001
Super poster

Re: Hi

Post by gherkin001 »

Hi and welcome to the mad-house!!!

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Hi Twiglett - welcome to the forum :) , your not alone with your issues.

I understand about blaming yourself when things go wrong - I do that all the time, tell myself that i am stupid, can't do anything etc. there is a reason to it - dyspraxicia.

Its good to hear that you got into dance which helped but I compleatly understand and see where your comming from when you relasise that dyspraxicia affects you more now then prevsoley and about the sochal situations etc. - I feel the same way about not understanding things, feel like you not making connections and are just 'hanging around'

With me dyspraxicia affects me a lot more mentaly raver then phisicaly and co-oradationaly and thats probably why I have a lot more issues with it now then I did when I was younger.
The real Mr Potato Head
cazzzzy
Getting settled in

Post by cazzzzy »

hi there...just sayinh hello and welcome,its good to folk on here with a sence of humor !!! boy do we need it :ghug: