Hi there I'm Tom

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Hi there I'm Tom

Post by Tom fod » Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm not sure if I was 'diagnosed' formally when I was younger at time I was statemented in school. I'm 36 now In the last couple of years I have found things seem to have got increasingly difficult and I feel as though I'm withdrawing.

I have some great friends but still I've not managed to click with anyone relationship wise as my confidence just doesn't seem to be there when I need it and I feel I need to try to explain myself but can't! Someone where I work printed out a document called the dyslexia & dysprxia toolkit and a lot of things rang true. Some things I can do quite easily and I excell at them, other stuff seems like it's all too much and I get downhearted and don't know where to turn. Waiting for an assessment at the moment but while I'm quite open to it I prefer the quiet life at times and know people who have far more challenging problems.

thelaticsfan
Getting settled in

Re: Hi there I'm Tom

Post by thelaticsfan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:38 pm

I hear you there mate, I think the dyspraxia can sometimes overbear us, it can make us feel that the situation is worse than it actually is.
I have felt this about 3 times today, felt like I cannot go on, best thing to do is try and get a bit of time to yourself! try spending 2 days doing what you love, go out with friends for social interaction, and get lots and lots of sleep, this helps me a lot!

also for some strange reason drinking very cold water has helped me to focus and be more able to cope

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Cheers that's good advice and I often need reminding as not always apt to take it. nice to have someone kindly remind me.Hope you had a good weekend and welcome though can't say I know anyone else on here until now.

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Katy
New member - welcome them!

Post by Katy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi

Have just joined the forum yesterday. Like you I am waiting for an assessment for dyspraxia. I can completely relate to everything you have both said. I find there is a huge discrepancy between my my different "skills sets" and this can lead me to feel very frustrated. It hasn't helped that at work, nobody can understand why I have remained in a repetitive job and not gone for promotion. I think as one of you said, you can get so down that you feel you are struggling more than you actually are. I agree that lots of sleep really helps especially when you've had a particularly challenging day. I also think as one of you said, it can really affect your self-confidence too, even in a social context. For example, buying a round of drinks, the nightmare of trying to remember what each person has said they want and as for trying to carry the drinks and remember which table you're sat at if the pub is unfamiliar, don't even go there!

I think going for an assessment and diagnosis etc is a good idea as it's a "win-win" situation. If you find out you are coming out as having quite "bad" dyspraxia" you can give yourself a pat on your back and tell yourself how much you have achieved inspite of it and if it's not so bad maybe it's worth looking at strategies for improving self-confidence!

Good luck to both of you

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Katy Thanks for your reply. I guess I've always had my coping mechanisms but pace of change and resultant self confidence lows have led to me/my managers trying to do something about it. I'd say I was generally in denial about the dyspraxia thing. Disclosure in many ways is a daunting prospect but equally I'm very well respected for what I do know so need to stop dwelling on stuff I'm not so good at trying to understand. Would like extra money that would come with promotion but not a fan of the hoops I'd have to jump through to get there when the opportunity arises.

best regards Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)