Hello.

Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PTH67
New member - welcome them!

Hello.

Post by PTH67 »

Hello all,
my user name is PTH67, I am 42 years old and this is my first post, Just a little about myself, and a request to seek advice. About three years ago i was having a chat with my mum about my early child hood, and she just casually threw into the conversation, that at the age of 4 our Doctor told her I had Dyspraxia! To be fair to my mum, this was back in 1971, she was only 24 and a single mum, and basically the Doctor humiliated and laughed at her and told her not to worry about it and that "he would grow out of it" as i mentioned this conversation happened about three years ago, and it was an extra shock, on top of other stuff i was going through at the time. I have done some research now and then, and then forgotten about it and tried to get on with life as you do. i have come back to it now as i guess i am in a good place within me, and am pretty steady and settled, and i have an eleven year old daughter who is the world to me. Without boring the pants of people too much, although still rather disorganized, in most domestic aspects, i have somehow always managed to find ways to get by in life (like having a computer, the ink pen no longer mocks me!)
Now the bit I am interested in to start with, through freedom of information i can track down my old medical records and stick them under the nose of my current Dr. and get an updated diagnosis, inccidently, it does seem weird that no Dr. in my adult life has ever bothered to mention this to me, which convinces me my records have never followed me about.
But I am panicked at the thought of what changes compared to benefits a diagnosis may bring me, for example i managed to pass my driving test at the age of 27, and have now been driving for about twelve years, and the thought of doing it again horrifies me. So what does it mean for me now, is it worth it? So i would be very grateful for any advice any one could offer. One other thing is i am based in the Bristol area and would like to know of any organizations or groups near me that might be of help.
My apologies for such a long first post! and thank you for having a wonderful site, which i have been reading lots and lots of, and finally plucked up the courage to join.

PTH67