I’ve just been diagnosed.

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sprocket
New member - welcome them!

I’ve just been diagnosed.

Post by Sprocket »

Hello,
I’ve always been dyslexic, and now at 32 I’ve been diagnosed with Dyspraxia. I’m studying a masters where they can help me with allot of the study related issues. But I have lots of questions outside of that. Like is this why I get achy fingers? I don’t have hyper mobile joints- I tend to be less flexible/ stiff and awkward - is that related to dyspraxia? I can dance and make things, but I always get intense fatigue. Is there a resource that is recomended for these sorts of questions? Are there recomeneded books to read?

Thanks for your help! It’s crazy when you learn something like this, and you realise you do actualy stuggle more than others, but at the same time wonder if it’s all related... or if some stuggles are just you.

Sprocket :-k
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I’ve just been diagnosed.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sprocket and welcome

It's a difficult qyestion to answer as people tend to have co-occuring conditions so it is pretty much impossible to say what is directly or indirectly related. Also Dyspraxia is complex and very few people present the same way.

Fatigue seems to be quite common as we often have to concentrate more intensely and work harder. Equally switching off to rest and relax can be difficult.

If you visit your library or look at their catalogue or online, books include Caged in Chaos by Victoria Biggs, Dyspraxia Dysraxic Adults Surviving in a Non-Dyspraxic World by Janet Taylor and another lady as wellas Mary Colley's Living with Dyspraxia among others.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Can I ask how you got diagnosed? Was it, by any chance, via your GP?
Sprocket
New member - welcome them!

Post by Sprocket »

No, I have started a masters, so I needed to get another dyslexic test done so I could get the disability allowance. And they noticed that I also have some dyspraxic things.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I see. Thank you for answering.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I'm fatigued every day and it's only recently that I found out that that's common with dyspraxia. I even asked my GP for blood tests a few years ago because I couldn't understand why I felt fatigued daily, no matter how much sleep I got.

I don't know about achy joints, but maybe you have to work harder to use your fingers.
Lucy
Getting settled in

Post by Lucy »

I get achy joints and my wrist and arm hurt when I'm writing - apparently this is because I tense my muscles too much and therefore working against myself when I write... not figured out how to change that though so am just glad for my laptop!

I found The Dyspraxic Learner: Strategies for Success by Alison Patrick quite helpful.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Thanks Lucy, I hope you have seen my responses to your other posts and you comment again soon.