Lexxic

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Lexxic

Post by Helenjohanna »

My employer wants me to be assessed by Lexxic. Here's the link:

http://www.lexxic.com/3/solutions/15/di ... sessments/

Does anyone have experience of their assessments? I'm a bit bothered that they will use the standard, ultra specific questionnaire, instead of more open questions.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Lexxic

Post by Tom fod »

From what it says on their site it looks like they are quite thorough.

Please do let us know how it goes.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I'm nervous. The standard questionnaire that I've seen a few times asks about things that I've never had problems with. I'm hoping that they take some history and ask more open questions.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Also, I have good and bad days with visual and audible memory, and distractions play a part. What if I'm having a good day and the test is done in an optimum environment?

I want to be understood; not to end up with misleading results.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

I do agree those are legitimate concerns as I too like (or even expect) things to be thorough to the nth degree.

No reason why you can't have a check list of things/examples you want to tell the assessor about re typical bad days and what typically causes things to breakdown and how often. You might even consider something you could give him or her to take away for when writing the assessment report.

Because many of us have coping strategies that we are able to employ day to day that help, only we could worry about doing too well. Is it something you could email and ask them about?

Hope that is of some help/reassurance
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I don't know. I've written lists of all my issues in childhood and adulthood, and I'm hoping that I will have the chance to give this list to the assessor.
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

I don't think a standard questionnaire is necessarily a bad thing, assuming it is followed up by a one-to-one assessment. I was assessed by Dyspraxia UK and had quite a lot of paperwork to do before meeting the assessor. This was hard going, but it got me thinking about issues that I hadn't realised were important in the assessment process e g having a high sensory profile. When I met the assessor she had read the questionnaire thoroughly and said that she felt that she already knew me quite well. I found that reassuring.
Regards
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I found this re a previous poster asking re Lexxic
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... xic#p26113
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Thank you.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I've read through. He/she never returned to say what happened! He/she had already been diagnosed elsewhere anyway, though.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Helen

Sorry should have caveated it was one from the archives. It does at least show Lexxic have been around for at least a few years now.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Yes, good point.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

My employer won't pay for the assessment. I have contacted two people who assess. One replied very quickly. £775. I have emailed my CCG to ask if NHS services of this kind are available here. I don't know how all this works, but I'm hoping that they can say yes, then i can book a GP appointment and ask for it.

I did googling and there is occupational therapy for adults at Bedford Hospital, which is in my area. Does that mean I can be referred on the NHS?
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

It might be worth seeking an opinion on how to proceed from Trade union.

It seems discriminatory to me - though I never got my employer to pay.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The other option might be Access To Work a Government Scheme that might meet some ot all of the cost of assessment and/or reasonable adjustment.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator