Help for adults

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Help for adults

Post by lubellasquee »

Has anybody who grew up with the diagnosis noticed that help when you’re an adult is almost non existent unless you’re in education, it’s almost like it’s expected to be magically cured the moment you turn 18 when that’s nowhere near the case.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help for adults

Post by Tom fod »

Yeah

I think even if you're able to adapt, it still has a strong tendency to return especially during stressfull and difficult phases, sometimes with a vengance.

There is precious little if any assistance for adults unless you ho for mon specific help like counselling if you can find it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

lubellasquee wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 pm Has anybody who grew up with the diagnosis noticed that help when you’re an adult is almost non existent unless you’re in education, it’s almost like it’s expected to be magically cured the moment you turn 18 when that’s nowhere near the case.
Yes that was exactly my experience - fortunately when I first suspected I might be dyspraxic - by reading Amanda Kirby's first book in 1999 after my daughter had been assessed - I made contact with the Dyspraxia Foundation - as I thinki was suggested by the book and a lot of things and contacts developed from there.

Actually I have just ordered the latest edition from the Dyspraxia Foundation -

https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/shop ... -disorder/

lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

That’s interesting to know, especially when I thought I was the only one that noticed it. It feels like although I have adapted relatively well I feel that I still need some help.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I think it is part of the human condition to need help from others, whether or not we are disabled.

Problem is not all (especially me) are good at asking for or receiving help.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

I'm under mental health services and everything gets related to the psych diagnosis. Having a professional intelligent enough to pick up on things ,ie it's not all down to a mental illness diagnosis, would help. Unfortunately most mental health professionals aren't that intelligent.
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

I got that a lot following a diagnosis of depression and anxiety, anything I said or did was included under that umbrella. I could have broken my leg and the doctor would be like ‘it’s because you have depression’