What do you think about getting charged for assessments?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MusicL22
Getting settled in

What do you think about getting charged for assessments?

Post by MusicL22 »

Hi everyone, this topic has came to mind in the last few days and I'd like to discuss and share my opinion.

As we know some people who assess for dyspraxia in the UK want to charge something like £300 I believe, or around that price per assessment, please correct me if I'm wrong. In my opinion without trying to sound abrupt I think this is a ridiculous.

Whether or not a person has the money to spend or is willing to spend is not the issue here. The fact is people are charging ridiculous amounts of money. Yes I understand the tests may be quite thorough but even so I don't think it's right. I mean I've seen posts where people have spent these amounts of money only to be told they don't fit the category and such like.

Another thing that is baffling me is I was watching the news one evening a few months ago. On this news story it said this school helps with children with autism something else and dyspraxia.

Now if it is something that's known and understood to a degree, why are people so ignorant about it with a lot of children, their parents and adults that are seeking diagnosis?

Other disorders are known about to the NHS and they offer as much support as they can, where as this people claim to lack the knowledge yet there are facilties out there, it just doesn't make any sense. I can't comprehend it honestly.

In the downloaded book there were stories of how adults who just got assessed admitted to being jealous of others that had the diagnosis when they were young. It's true we do get jealous because they end up being understood and we don't, we just get accused of being awkward or misbehaving.

More needs to be done about this issue, whether anyone is dyspraxic or not at least help them. If there are fees then they should be a sensible price to pay.

What does everyone else think? Thanks for reading, it got suggested to me that I share my opinion.
firemonkey
Power poster

Re: What do you think about getting charged for assessments?

Post by firemonkey »

It's not perfect for the younger generation re diagnosis but it's certainly better than when I was a child/teenager over 43 years ago. I have letters from my prep school headmaster to my public school headmaster mentioning poor coordination , also poor at drawing and writing, and public school reports mentioning I'm disorganised and messy . My father has said I wasn't well coordinated as a child. He puts it down to my being left handed and that I had a stutter. Dyspraxia and its forerunner re what it was named was in its infancy and hardly known about as a disability. At 61 I still don't have a diagnosis. Over the years , as you can do to some extent as an adult , I've avoided the things that would accentuate signs of it.

I'm glad the younger generation are getting more recognition of it. My only beef is with the small set of rather ignorant youngsters who pull "Ah but I've got a diagnosis " to point score as to legitimacy. In terms of symptoms these people are no more dyspraxic as a group than I am.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It is a hell of a lot of money and I have heard talk of assessments from some places/orgs being more than double the £300 you quote as an example. There's IMHO a bit of a cottage industry and whilst as individuals we naturally baulk at spending £300+ pounds, for a professional consultation paid by an employer or a public body it is small beer.

I had an Access to Work Assessment and I shudder to think what it cost, as tbh it was not that useful imho and sadly nor were the recommended/suggested solutions. I feel that reasonable adjustments such as having a good mentor, colleagues who seek to understand accept and give you the freedom to do things differently as long as you still arrive at an agreed outcome need not necessarily cost hundreds of pounds to implement.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Is there a list somewhere of organisations that assess? I'm surprised to read £300 above. I thought the £780 one with Dyspraxia UK was the only one that exists.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I do not know of a list - if I wanted to find an assessor I would ask for Dyspraxia Foundation to advise - dyscovery Centre may also be able to help.

I would favour a chartered psychologist in the UK - maybe - the new magazine will collate names?
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

The people who did my Access to work Assessment - I would not let them empty the bins - not only were their recommendations nonsense they lied and were paid by DWP - I gave up protesting because my employer also lied and so I was stuffed BUT it lead to early retirement and it was in 2002 - just seeing the topic mentioned - touched a very raw spot in me!
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Okay. I will try to get the ball rolling next week.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

I would like to see a free system for full assessments for all, via the NHS, after a screening, it would stand as a lifelong document like a certificate gained after a course of study, or a driving test.

I think it should be paid for by the state and suspect it would ultimately save money.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Assessments should be readily available and free on the NHS.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Okay, I got brave and went into my GP surgery this morning to book an appointment to ask for a referral for a neuro assessment.

The receptionist was lovely. I told her that I need an understanding doctor because i cant face a bad experience with this of not being believed. She suggested a GP whom she believes will be good with me. She also asked the practice manager, while I was there, if there is NHS provision for this. Weirdly, the manager said just book the appointment and try, which makes me think that it is available in principle....

So, the day of truth will be November 12th.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Okay. I found an occupational therapist who charges £300 for a dyspraxia assessment, but her blurb talks only about the physical side, which concerns me. I have emailed my concerns and said that I'm more affected by the cognitive problems, so I will see what she says.

She charges £150 for a separate processing assessment, but I would have preferred that to be part of the dyspraxia assessment.

I would worry that she would find various weaknesses and simply write a report detailing them, rather than providing an actual diagnosis that is usable by my employer to fund future assessments and provide support.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Again maybe Union advice would assist.

I think there are issues about who does a a diagnosis.

From my experience I think a clinical psychologist is likely to be more comprehensive than an Occupational Therapist but maybe I do not understand Occupational Therapy - which I thought was baout activities that enhance living rather than clarifying whether a person has one condition than another.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

The GP referred me to occupational health, so I hope I've done the right thing.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

It seems positive, some Occupational Therapists nowadays are getting special training, hopefully the GP knows what can be achieved by the referral, that last post suggests s/he has a good understanding.
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

I hope so. I'm nervous!

Any ideas how long it will take? I told him that the practical elements of my course at work start in May, so I was hoping for s diagnosis before then. He didn't give anything away, but I feel that, NHS-wise, that's probably tight!