No Help in the UK???

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

evilsnowcookie
New member - welcome them!

No Help in the UK???

Post by evilsnowcookie »

I've just been to my GP as I've been having several problems at work linked to Dyspraxia / possible ADHD and my GP basically said there's no help I can get as an adult for Dyspraxia. I haven't attempted to get any help for my Dyspraxia since I was a young teenager so I don't know if this is true. He handed me some help numbers for depression and anxiety in adults but none of this really refers to anything I'm experiencing apart from poor and negative mental health from self-esteem caused by dyspraxia / possible ADHD.

Does anyone in the UK on here have any idea about any extra help I can get??? If there is no help for Dyspraxia in adults then I'm really worried about how I can get out of this space i am in. I really enjoy my job and I don't like messing up frequently and making 'silly' mistakes.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: No Help in the UK???

Post by Tom fod »

Unfortunately your GP is pretty much correct, there isn’t really much if any specific help. That said counselling can help you start to change the way you see yourself and how you react to any mistakes you make. I think we are often ultra hard on ourselves for silly mistakes and it becomes a habit and a vicious cycle or small mistake followed by anxiety causing us to make yet more errors.

Is this something your employer might be willing to help you with. Are they Dyspraxia aware and would they be forward learning if you asked for help. That you enjoy your job and want to become better at it is positive thing but as you no doubt know that can change for the worse all too quickly and easily. What measures would you suggest if you were the manager of yourself.

I hope this response and other threads on here prove informative. Please do feel free to ask more.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Just to add I hope you manage to find some support somewhere. Feel free to ask questions or just vent here.

Not sure if you stumbled hare as a result of an online search but there is some useful content on the web. Equally the Dyspraxia Foundation have a helpline and there may possibly be an affiliated adult group near where you are.

Please let us know whether we are or how we might be of help?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

It's the same in the US. Wouldn't it be nice if someone were to file a precedent setting law suit that enabled us to go back and sue our primary and secondary school systems for failure to have detected and addressed it. It would be nice if they then would be forced to pay for the help we needed as adults to cope with issues of dyspraxia. It would also be a nice way of putting school systems on notice that they are responsible for properly diagnosing and treating such issues in a timely fashion. The closest thing we have to that in the US is the Education of All Children with Disabilities act which mandates proper monitoring and addressing of such disorders. The problem is that children from affluent communities are far more likely to find that their school districts are in compliance with this federal law than children from middle and low income communities. The parents of those children often have to sue to insure compliance with a federal law that has already indicated quite clearly that even low income school districts must find money in their budgets to address special needs children.
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

Pretty much my experience to be honest.

I was diagnosed some 18 years ago by an Educational Psychologist while at college. I say diagnosed loosely. There isn't a diagnosis path as such since it's often groups of different professionals who offer advice and opinion.

To my knowledge all the paperwork was sent to the College and will have been long since destroyed due to data protection laws. There's no obligation for the Ed. Psych to forward the paperwork to a GP, so in most cases your GP will never know.