Reasons for dyspraxia getting worse...

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Megsandra1997
New member - welcome them!

Reasons for dyspraxia getting worse...

Post by Megsandra1997 »

Hey,
So I have oral and verbal dyspraxia which got treated when I was younger with huge amounts of speech therapy.
I haven’t been to speech therapy since I was 10 and I am now 20.

Recently myself and my boyfriend have noticed my speech getting gradually worse, some of what I say isn’t understandable anymore and sometimes I get very muddled and what I am trying to say doesn’t come out how I anticipated.

It’s really starting to worry me, what could be the cause of this? Do I need to go back to treatment? Does dyspraxia return/get worse as you grow up?
Dan
Power poster

Re: Reasons for dyspraxia getting worse...

Post by Dan »

Sounds a lot like anxiety to me. I got the same way around girls, and probably still do, so it's no worry that you get nervous and fail to speak properly around your boyfriend!
Megsandra1997

Post by Megsandra1997 »

Dan wrote:Sounds a lot like anxiety to me. I got the same way around girls, and probably still do, so it's no worry that you get nervous and fail to speak properly around your boyfriend!
We have been together for nearly three years so it’s not that he’s new or nervous, I’m just worried that it’s coming back and wondering if I need to go back for some speech therapy. It seems like a lot of people on here have motor rather than oral or verbal, I’m struggling to find any information online.

I’m getting self conscious that my speech is sometimes sounding slurred and unclear when I’m talking to people, especially at work :(
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

Megsandra1997 wrote:
Dan wrote:Sounds a lot like anxiety to me. I got the same way around girls, and probably still do, so it's no worry that you get nervous and fail to speak properly around your boyfriend!
We have been together for nearly three years so it’s not that he’s new or nervous, I’m just worried that it’s coming back and wondering if I need to go back for some speech therapy. It seems like a lot of people on here have motor rather than oral or verbal, I’m struggling to find any information online.

I’m getting self conscious that my speech is sometimes sounding slurred and unclear when I’m talking to people, especially at work :(
Hmm, I really don't know, but yes, that does seem weird. I mean, other than the obvious advice of seeing a doctor and being referred to a neurologist, I don't know what to say. Does your boyfriend notice your perspective of the slurring?
Megsandra1997

Post by Megsandra1997 »

Dan wrote:
Megsandra1997 wrote:

Hmm, I really don't know, but yes, that does seem weird. I mean, other than the obvious advice of seeing a doctor and being referred to a neurologist, I don't know what to say. Does your boyfriend notice your perspective of the slurring?

He has, we just put it down to stress and being tired but I’m worried about going back to how it was when I was younger. It’s not really bad, but we’re both noticing it
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Megsandra1997 wrote:For me I have oral and verbal dyspraxia rather than motor.
My boyfriend and his family refuse to admit that dyspraxia isn’t autism, despite how many times I explain!
He even goes as far as telling people I’m autistic rather than dyspraxic if the conversation comes up. It’s very fustrating!
If your boyfriend and his family can’t accept Dyspraxia perhaps you need to ask yourself why you are still with him? Are his and his families’ attitude significantly raising your anxiety/frustration levels and causing your speech.difficulties?

Dyspraxia doesn’t go away but you can become better at coping with/lessening it’s effects. However, new stresses can pitch you back at square one again. I don’t know if the benefit of speech therapy can wear off but you must seek medical advice on your failing voice as it could be critical.

Oral is of the mouth. Verbal refers ito the words/speech that come out but the two seem to be used interchangeably.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I experienced something similar when I was about your age. I think that's because at that time, in college, I was always socializing in groups of friends in college. There were multiple people conversing and if I contributed something that appeared to be peculiar in some way, or asked a question that seemed to indicate that I was either not being attentive to the fine points of the conversation, I would be criticized for it. That made me anxious, which would trigger all of my issues of shame regarding dyspraxia, and then a vicious cycle would be set into motion.
The issue is somewhat improved now, partly because I don't socialize in groups anymore, and because older people tend to be less blunt, and partly because I tend to understand better what people are trying to communicate. I think this is simply due to greater experience in communication with people. Things spin out of control for me when anxiety is inherent in the context of the person or persons involved in the course of the communication, particularly when their is a threat to my self esteem and challenge that extends beyond the capacity of my ego strength.