Do you think a psychiatrist would know about Dyspraxia?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Do you think a psychiatrist would know about Dyspraxia?

Post by lizzie1991 »

I realise the title is a sort of " You've answered your own question there Lizzie". As I have mentioned that a psychiatrist I saw when I was 14 suggested a slight Dypraxia based on me accidently breaking things.

Il try to keep this short and say more in replies. My GP has a copy of my checklist. I will try to print off another copy before my psychiatrist appointment. Today I have spent the afternoon writing down all my difficulties to read infront of the psychiatrist, which I have dated and titled etc. So I have filled 2 sheets of paper on both sides with up to 16 Dypraxia/Dyspraxic tendencies.

I would like to know if any Adults in the UK have managed to get a diagnosis based on what you've described to your psychiatrist. I am hoping the psychiatrist does know about Dyspraxia like the one I saw when I was 14.

Thanks for reading.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Do you think a psychiatrist would know about Dyspraxia?

Post by Tom fod »

Update. I've recently joined a Facebook Group Dyspraxia UK Adults and I note someone who had been 'diagnosed' by a Psychiatrist so I guess I stand corrected.

Based on what I know I'm not sure I'd want to bet money on it. The Dyspraxia Foundation seems to suggest diagnosis requires input from a range of professionals. These might include a neurologist, occupational therapist and/or educational psychologist. That said a psychiatrist with significant paediatric exposure might have some knowledge of Dyspraxia as it does have a clear tendency to affect the working of the mind. Equally his or her opinion will hopefully contribute to the recognition you are seeking and vindication.

It might be worth asking the Dyspraxia Foundation for their opinion on this too
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)