I'm getting concerned about my dyspraxia symptoms

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lizzie1991
Getting settled in

I'm getting concerned about my dyspraxia symptoms

Post by lizzie1991 »

Hi everyone, I'm currently trying to get an assessment for dyspraxia so far no one has got back to me so I will contact my gp. I feel that if I were to get an assessment it would clear up a lot of things and make people understand why I can be the way I am.

I am getting more and more concerned about this at the moment, I am getting slightly more clumsy than usual at the moment (knocking things down and tripping over my feet while walking outside) Also one trait of dypraxia is apparently " may talk continuous and repeat themselves" which I've done a lot in life. I move one topic to the other around friends and can talk a lot. It has got to the point where my best friend and her friends and me were having a meal, one of her friends wasn't talking so the three of us were talking and I was chatting away to all of them, trying to include her to. After the meal she moaned to one of my best friends friends that " There is no off switch on her,I felt left out because she was always talking." " she keeps repeating herself and bringing up the past" I'd like to add she hardly knows anything about me or anything that's upset me in life that I still find upsetting. In a text she also said that I should grow up and that its all about me and there was other people at the table. It's left me feeling upset and questioning myself. I really want an assessment for piece of mind I was also born with brain lesions and aquired from an old head Injury which were found on an mri in my early twenties. Is this a trait of dypraxia? Can brain lesions contribute to the condition? I'm not sure what to say to my gp about getting an assessment. Thank you for reading.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I'm getting concerned about my dyspraxia symptoms

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lizzie

Your friend's friend was rather unkind in saying what she said and it's not surprising you feel upset. She/others probably wouldn't be all that less unkind if she / they were aware of your dyspraxia /suspected dyspraxia, but I might be wrong there.

The fact that you're stressed and preoccupied will also likely account for your increased clumsiness. A lot of us find that things are worse when we're stressed, worried, tired, upset and/or unhappy

Printing and taking along a completed Dyspraxia self assessment questionnaire to your GP would be useful, especially since Dyspraxia is not easy to explain and not all GPs are familiar. The example on this forum may be excessive detail and you should find a more recent example on the Dyspraxia Foundation's website. Happy to help you find one if you are struggling.

Your GP wiĺl have access to your medical notes and may be able to better able to answer your question about the lesions seen on your MRI. Not every one will have had an MRI but since I'm not a Neurologist I can't really comment.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

Thank you, the mri was done because I had non epileptic attack disorder for a brief period along with mental health deterating at the time from a lot of issues,I still suffer from an anxiety disorder. I do have a mild focal epilepsy with episodes of deja vu. I saw a psychologist after the mri to check there wasnt any brain damage from these old lesions. I remember doing tests an puzzles and I can remember sequencing being poor and him saying that if someone tells you a joke you might not get it straight away. I haven't got autism or anything in that spectrum. Since school age I have struggled with maths entry level 3 is as far as I can do and that was a little difficult. I will print the questionare off.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Lizzie

Here you go. Suggest you print page 6 from this document complete it and take it with you to show your GP.

https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/wp-c ... ia_1.0.pdf
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

Tom fod wrote:Lizzie

Here you go. Suggest you print page 6 from this document complete it and take it with you to show your GP.

https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/wp-c ... ia_1.0.pdf
I printed off page 5 and 6 and I ticked the checklist. I took it to the gp and they asked if they could keep it for my records so I gave the checklist to the gp. I said to them that a few people have suggested go mention it to the gp and that I was told gps may not know about it. So now I'm just waiting to see the psychiatrist as they might know more about it but il discuss with them when the next appointment is. The gp has the checklist.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

You can always write yourself a note to ask your GP surgery if they can photocopy your list so you can have a copy to retain for yourself. It might be an idea to make a couple of copies but it is possible your psychiatrist may be sent/be given access to the checklist.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator