ADHD

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Desert Rose
Regular Poster

ADHD

Post by Desert Rose »

Now I'm not normally one for making a self diagnosis based on what I've read on the internet, but I've recently been doing a little research into ADHD, and took an online test from what appeared to be an official charity for ADHD. Based on my answers to the questions, which I based on my self knowledge, I seem to show all of the telltale signs that I have ADHD, particularly strongly with regards to concentration span and dialogue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure I read on the Dyspraxia Foundation website that it's actually quite common for dyspraxic people to also have ADHD. Presumably the way I'd go about investigating this is by speaking to a Doctor? My only concern is I don't really want to say that I base my suspicions based on what I've read on the internet, because doctors can find that quite annoying as there can be alot of unreliable info out there.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: ADHD

Post by Tom fod »

I think if you go along and tell your GP, I have ADHD I read it online, now give me a prescription for Ritalin, he or she might not be very happy. However, if you go along having printed and completed the questionnaire and can offer examples of how it's affecting your ability to carry out normal day to day activities he or she will hopefully be more amenable. I sort of suspect that like Dyspraxia, with ADHD too, the attitude may also be that it's something we're meant to grow out of.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Re: ADHD

Post by Desert Rose »

Tom fod wrote:I think if you go along and tell your GP, I have ADHD I read it online, now give me a prescription for Ritalin, he or she might not be very happy. However, if you go along having printed and completed the questionnaire and can offer examples of how it's affecting your ability to carry out normal day to day activities he or she will hopefully be more amenable. I sort of suspect that like Dyspraxia, with ADHD too, the attitude may also be that it's something we're meant to grow out of.
I do feel sometimes that ritalin could be helpful, there are those times when I really need to focus but my mind keeps getting distracted and I just space out.