Resources for dyspraxia

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

flat_ted
New member - welcome them!

Resources for dyspraxia

Post by flat_ted »

I'm trying to find some resources to help me understand and adjust to my dyspraxia diagnosis (I only got diagnosed as an adult). I've noticed that a lot of the resources available are for children and for adults supporting children with dyspraxia. Can anyone recommend any good books or other resources to help/offer advice with strategies for managing some of the symptoms of dyspraxia as an adult? Thank you :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Resources for dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

This does seem to be the case. However, there have been a couple of books from/sponsored by the Dyspraxia Foundation (DF): Dyspraxia Dyspraxic Adults Surviving in a non-Dyspraxic World by Janet Taylor and Mary Morris; and Living With Dyspraxia by (the late) Mary Colley; Caged in Chaos by Victoria Biggs is the only one I've read personally and whilst I found it good. I found it 20yrs too late.
The DF periodically run workshops at various locations around the country and I'm aware that some of these have been attended by people from this forum. There are also blogs and You Tube Channels check out http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... um.php?f=7
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Beloved
New member - welcome them!

Re: Resources for dyspraxia

Post by Beloved »

Some resources and books that I've personally undergone and read that have benefitted me.

Programmes:
Neurofeedback; different sections of the brain are stimulated using small voltages. This is administered by a trained therapist

Step today (formerly Dore programme); a programme that consists of a daily 10 mins simple physical exercises such as balancing and catching tennis balls and bean bags. I was the last to sign up for their USA online programme and have benefitted after a year

A book that spoke straight to my heart, and introduced the term 'learning difficulties' to me. 'The woman who changed her brain' by Barbara Arrowsmith. Barbara herself encountered numerous learning difficulties as a child and created methods to overcome them. In addition, she created the Arrowsmith programme which has over 30 years of research. As I was reading the book, my tears flowed freely and each of the stories was a reflection of my own life.

Lastly, I highly recommend 'Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking' by Susan Cain. She started the 'Quiet' revolution that explains celebrates the quirks of introverts and our need for personal space, downtime alone. I'm sure many of us who have dyspraxia or learning difficulties feel excluded. This book helped me to embrace my quirkiness and love myself more.