How to go about being assessed

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

srg93
New member - welcome them!

How to go about being assessed

Post by srg93 »

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting myself assessed properly for all learning difficulties does anyone know how to go about this?

a bit of info about myself:

at 15 a teacher told my mum that I possibly had Dyspraxia due to certain symptoms. I ended up typing my GCSE'S as a result however despite this comment being made by my teacher my school refused to assess me and as I was getting help at college I never pushed for it, however at 24 I need to know if I definitely have Dyspraxia or if I'm actually just terrible at stuff due to bad luck haha

I kind of want to assess myself for everything but I don't have a clue where to even start.

any tips or advice would be amazing.

Thank you,

SRG
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: How to go about being assessed

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

I've moved your post to this section. Getting assessment as an adult can be tricky as a lot of the resources seems to be for young people in school. There are a variety of peole and organisations who can assess you. If you don't hve c£500 to go private you can ask your GP to see if they can refer you. You could also try asking yourr your employers as they may be able/prepared to assist in finding an assessor.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)