What should I do?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wish90
Getting settled in

What should I do?

Post by Wish90 »

](*,)
I am a 27 year old and I really feel that I might have dyspraxia. I struggle so much with everyday life and I have done since I can remember.

It is however beginning to learn to drive that has confirmed in my mind that there is definitely something more than just a lack of confidence stopping me from making consistent progress. I cannot cope with doing so much at once and my brain feels like it's going to explode half the time. I am terrified and my instructor is really good but I am just doing so rubbish at it.

(My God, even typing this account is tricky.)

I have always struggled organising my thoughts and speech and people usually think I am odd or stupid. Housework and cooking are hard and I feel like crying because I drop things all the time.

I walk funny, have flat feet and even when I write lists I spend my life wandering around dotting from task to task.
I hate loud music and I cant follow instructions well.

I could go on but I don't want to bore people..... I am wondering if I should try to get assessed. Would it be of any help to me?? It's so expensive and I don't think my GP would help. What are people's experiences?
Ram
Power poster

Re: What should I do?

Post by Ram »

Wish90 said:
I am wondering if I should try to get assessed. Would it be of any help to me?? It's so expensive and I don't think my GP would help. What are people's experiences?
I would always recommend getting assessed if you can reasonably afford it, mainly for the peace of mind it brings you. In addition, it, theoretically speaking, should entitle you to some allowances in the work place or at college/university.

I certainly felt a roller coaster of emotions after I was assessed. But overall, it increased my self-knowledge and ultimate peace of mind, so I would say it was worth it.

Nevertheless, if getting an assessment is beyond your means, it is not the end of the world. You can still pick up some books on the topic of adult dyspraxia such as Living with Dyspraxia by Mary Colley. You can at least then make some adjustments to your life so you feel more in control of things.
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Thank you that's really helpful, I would probably be able to afford it if I save up a few months. I think you're right it would be worth it in the long run. It's horrible feeling so rubbish and my family keep laughing at how long it's taking me to learn to drive so at least then I could tell them to leave me alone because I genuinely can't help it.

X
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Remember it's your GPs job to try to help though s/he may be quite limited in referral options. If you do decide to ask, take some supporting info as not all GPs are familiar.It's sad that your family are impatient/unsupportive as this sort of attitude really does make things extra difficult.

To be honest I personally didn't find Mary Colley's book that helpful so would suggest you research before buying and check what your library can offer too as there are other Dyspraxia books.

It may be also worth investigating Job Centre+'s Access To Work scheme as a potential means to obtain an assessment.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Thank you,
I will definitely look into going to see the doctor :D x
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

I printed out the list of dyspraxic symptoms from The Dyspraxic Forum website, highlighted the ones I was most affected by (eg hand-eye co-ordination) and took it along to my GP. He wasn't too familiar with dyspraxia, tho he knew a little, but he was great. I'd already decided I wanted to go private, waited, I think, about two weeks for a referral and it cost around £250+ (this was about five years ago). Hope this is of help to you. :)
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Hi,
Thank you that's helpful. Did you get the private referral through your GP or did you have to find the private assessment on your own?
x
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

Hi, my GP arranged for the private referral. Believe me, they can't do enough when they know you're paying :D tho, in fairness, both my GP and the guy he referred me to were very nice. :) I think the consultant was a neurologist, can't remember, and I no longer have the letter of my assessment as I've retired since and chucked a lot of paperwork out when I moved house.
Wish90
Getting settled in

Post by Wish90 »

Hi,

Thank you :) thank you for taking the time to help me xx
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

No problem, glad to help. :)