Help! I think my 6 year old has dyspraxia..where can I go to help?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sarah hopley
New member - welcome them!

Help! I think my 6 year old has dyspraxia..where can I go to help?

Post by Sarah hopley »

I need help. My son shows all the signs of dyspraxia. Where do I go from here ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help! I think my 6 year old has dyspraxia..where can I go to help?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Sarah

May I ask what prompted your question in order I (or we) can best answer your query?

If you haven't alreadly been in touch, your son's school's Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO),and or The Dyspraxia Foundation may be worth engaging with.

I appreciate you will naturally compare him with his peers (as he likely will do himself) but I urge that you appreciate he's an individual as the condition displays differently dependent on myriad factors. It's important that he learns to appreciate that being different is not always a bad thing.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Sarah hopley
New member - welcome them!

Post by Sarah hopley »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. My son goes to a small school and been to speech therapist and had a child Psychologist. He's been kept back a year and on the SEN register. He has a big problem keeping still, concentrating, fear of sun, textures, dressing him self, using knife and fork. He is a lovable boy but I am worried he needs more assessments which we are waiting for off the school, just feel we need to look at all angles.

Sarah
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again Sarah

You're welcome. If the following are not already being explored, you might also want to look into Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)/ Sensory integration Disorder (SID) and ADD/ADHD. Often there are overlapping conditions.

When I was little I was somewhat sickly and was dragged, quite unwillingly, to see all manner of professionals and therapists because 'I wasn't right' It had an emotional impact but I now better appreciate that my late Mum did this because she wanted to try and help. I think she tried to explain but It's likely I didn't hear/want to hear.

I wish you and your family well in getting the help and support you need and I'm sure you try to encourage him to try new things and be the 6 year old lad he wants to be.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)