Is it worth trying to get assessed?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mbyltd1
New member - welcome them!

Is it worth trying to get assessed?

Post by mbyltd1 »

I'm 20 and in University and only recently came across the idea of dyspraxia,but looking into it, I'm think I tick a lot of the boxes, and a friend who is dyspraxic basically told me he see's a lot of the things he has problems with in me. Among other things, I'm incredibly clumsy, fall over a lot, have trouble with sports, my hands are shaky a lot of the time and my sense of direction is absolutely abysmal(I can get lost like 3 roads away from the house I've lived in my entire life). My voice is pretty weird, I don't have the accent of my home town, either of my parents or any of my friends, and some words I struggle with. I fidget a lot, and my attention span is not great. I've looked into getting tested with the university but I just can't afford it, and I don't qualify for getting it free. I was just wanting to know, is there any advantage to being officially tested for it, or is it ok to stay untested with the knowledge I *may* have dyspraxia? Can I get the resources that would come with a diagnosis elsewhere? I want to educate myself on it, but don't really know where to start.

Ram
Power poster

Re: Is it worth trying to get assessed?

Post by Ram »

I'm 20 and in University and only recently came across the idea of dyspraxia,but looking into it, I'm think I tick a lot of the boxes, and a friend who is dyspraxic basically told me he see's a lot of the things he has problems with in me. Among other things, I'm incredibly clumsy, fall over a lot, have trouble with sports, my hands are shaky a lot of the time and my sense of direction is absolutely abysmal(I can get lost like 3 roads away from the house I've lived in my entire life). My voice is pretty weird, I don't have the accent of my home town, either of my parents or any of my friends, and some words I struggle with. I fidget a lot, and my attention span is not great. I've looked into getting tested with the university but I just can't afford it, and I don't qualify for getting it free. I was just wanting to know, is there any advantage to being officially tested for it, or is it ok to stay untested with the knowledge I *may* have dyspraxia? Can I get the resources that would come with a diagnosis elsewhere? I want to educate myself on it, but don't really know where to start.
For what it's worth I have a lot of the same problems as you. As a result, in my (very unqualified) opinion, it is likely that you have dyspraxia. I was assessed more than 10 years ago.

There are three main benefits to getting an assessment that I can think of. First, if a professional assessor considers you to be dyspraxic, you may get some extra allowances by the university (such as extra time in exams) depending on the severity of your dyspraxia. Second, if you are diagnosed as dyspraxic, you are theoretically speaking entitled to adjustment by employers. However, in reality this is sketchy at best. Lastly, a professional assessment does put your mind at rest.

Nevertheless, it is not the end of the world if a professional assessment is beyond your means. If you think your possible dyspraxia is causing you problems with your course work, it may be worth talking to a tutor about it. There are also several books around on the topic of living with dyspraxia that offer you some tips on living with dyspraxia. These might help improve things for you in a lot of little ways. One of these books (surprise surprise) is called Living with Dyspraxia by Mary Colley.

Another point that I should make is now that you know your weaknesses (and hopefully strengths too), you can make suitable career plans. You can at least avoid the mistake I made of doing jobs that ruthlessly exposed my weaknesses.

I probably have not told you what you want to hear. But I hope there is at least something here to help you on your way.
mbyltd1
New member - welcome them!

Post by mbyltd1 »

That actually really helps to be honest. Most of the reason I want the test is piece of mind, and knowing its not totally my fault. I don't think I would gain much or probably even qualify for extra time in exams, so not having it in terms of that is not the end of the world. I was mainly worried about getting any advice and things like that which would come as a result of a diagnosis, but I guess I can probably get most of that from books, so I will definitely check out some books on it! In terms of jobs, I'm trying to go in to Neuroscience research, which doesn't really need all that much coordination, so hopefully I should be ok... I guess I'll find out!
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Most of the reason I want the test is piece of mind, and knowing its not totally my fault

That is a definitely a big plus of getting diagnosed. However, I was already more than halfway there when I found out about dyspraxia and read up on the symptoms before my assessment. I suspect that the vast majority of people who go for a professional assessment for dyspraxia end up being diagnosed as such. This is because a person who does not have the symptoms would not request a diagnosis. That would be an interesting area for further research.
In terms of jobs, I'm trying to go in to Neuroscience research, which doesn't really need all that much coordination, so hopefully I should be ok.
You obviously have talent in science, so this sounds like an excellent choice for you. It's also great that you have been able to find a field like that at such a young age. When I was 20, I really was floundering in terms of jobs. I wish you well in this career.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

The other option might be to see if you can find funding for an assessment through a bursary or grant. This is was a suggestion I saw on The Dyspraxia Foundation's website. It might be worth emailing or calling their helpline. As Ram states professional confirmation gives you the necessary leverage to back up any request for reasonable adjustment if that was needed. In theory an employer should work with you to get the best from you and help you develop no matter what diagnosis label you have.

I would be inclined to say many of us are unconvinced by disclosure for fear that people will judge us based on tHe little they know, or worse what they think they know, about the condition. knowing oneself and being able to understand how best to apply oneself in confronting challenges is an important skill. Most available assistance is not specific to Dyspraxia anyway. Being able to create or adopt strategies and adapting them to work for you is invaluable
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)