Counselling

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lhunt23
New member - welcome them!

Counselling

Post by lhunt23 »

So I had a reassessment several weeks ago to be eligible for DSA, and part of the recommended treatment was to attend the free counselling service for help with anxiety, low-self esteem and confidence stemming from growing up with dyspraxia. I was wondering how to approach this and explain this to the counsellor, and if anyone else has gone through this?

Thanks guys <3
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Counselling

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

The aim of any counselling will be to enable you to find ways in which you can better control/manage your anxiety. I was struggling before I learned I was dyspraxic and I found Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) counselling was quite helpful. I think it relies upon your putting aside any thoughts about it not working for you. Basically speaking it allows you to start to train yourself to overcome negative thoughts by reasoning and thinking of examples that contradict the negative ideas. The counsellor works with you to help you develop your inner ability to improve your inbuilt coping mechanisms.

The other type of Counselling offered increasingly is Mindfulness.

I hope you find the Forums helpful. Please feel free to vent, ask more questions or contribute to other discussions where you feel you can.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)